Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:48 PM   #131

You're right, Phil. They come home because it's exactly that--home. It means we did enough things right to make them smile when they walk in the door, and they make us smile in return.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:04 PM   #132

I live all the way across the country from my kids. I envy those of you that get to see them come mooch your food.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 9:28 PM   #133

My best friend is in the same position as you, Carl, except she lives here in NY State while her son lives in Oregon. He may be over thirty, but I'll bet she sent him a batch of the Christmas cookies she's been baking for him since he was a toddler. She claims it's such a pathetic thing to do, but she always does it...and he always loves it.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 2:27 AM   #134

Sigh, one of mine moved all the way to the other end of our street.
Get to see her and the grand kids often. Sometimes way too often. The built in babysitter syndrome.

The other one boomeranged and he is living in my basement again.

It is causing us to look into moveing out! We figure if we can find a place farther out in the country where you can't get 4mb internet service he won't follow. (an addicted gamer )

Only trouble is 25years of accumilated junk in the current place
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 3:10 PM   #135

Quote:
The other one boomeranged and he is living in my basement again.
This has become extremely common. Most often it seems the result of the increasing difficulty for young people to keep up with the cost of living. When I was first out on my own, it was easy to find an apartment where the rent was equal to one week's pay. Not anymore. My first new car cost $1900. Yes, it was a VW bug.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:55 PM   #136

In the UK they call them KIPPERS. Kids In Parents Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings. As I am not one and my Kids are only 7 & 3 I can't comment directly but here is a recent BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/...ey/3276039.stm
T0M0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:56 PM   #137

It appears parents are suffering much longer with their children in England, too, if I understood that article...and I'm sure I did.

There's another complication to this scene. It's called "The Sandwich Generation," which refers to the ever-increasing situation where middle-aged people are taking care of both their children and their elderly parents. It leads to some very tough times. I know about it first-hand.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 4:51 PM   #138

HAHA, my frist NEW car was a 2300$ AMC Gremlin.

Quote:
My first new car cost $1900. Yes, it was a VW bug.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 6:20 PM   #139

cars??
Just bought one today!

Ford fiesta MK1 from 1982
melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 6:42 PM   #140

Ok,
Sorry missed this post.....

I don't have many pictures were I'm seen but here is one I like.

And this is my wife Annewiek and son Brian.

Something about myself:
I'm 32 years old and my wife and I run a PC shop, we work in all area's of the market from business, normal use and special uses (video, photo, music).
ITC also has a whole Home Theater department (my speciality) we do custom installments and import some products for the Netherlands, I'm ISF and HAA certified for doing high-end calibrations on picture and sound.

Photography started as a P&S camera for my Home Theater projects, but that soon changed to a total obbession, I'm now shooting arround 2 years and I think I have found a nice road to travel .

At the moment some local newspapers are often publicing my photo's and I try to be active on some forums on the web, mainly Steve's and the Canon forum.

I run a large Dutch Home Theater forum called. www.htforum.nl and you can find my work at www.doorhof.nl.

The place I live is Emmeloord, The Netherlands.
This is land won back from the sea, so very plain agricultural area's and some VERY nice little villages like Urk, and offcourse the worldfamous OrchideŽn hoeve.

Hope this is enough about myself .

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote