Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:56 PM   #181

Okay, now that I have an avatar up, I can answer this too!

My real name is Danielle, though "Dani" was a nickname I got in high school, and I often use it online, instead of typing out my full name. I'm 23 years old.

I live across the bay from San Francisco in a cute little two bedroom condo with my four pet hermit crabs named Nixie, Ephyra, Neptune, and Dax. Here's a picture of one of them that I took the day after I bought my Canon G5:

My other pet is my boyfriend, Jonathan. :lol: He and I have been together more than 6 years, and are high school sweethearts. He's very good at photography and is helping me learn. I've actually always had an interest in learning, but never really had the time. But, when I decided recently to get a new camera, I figured it would be better to get a nice camera, and learn how to use it then get another cheap point and shoot. Little by little, I'm learning. I'm happy to finally know what words like "aperature" "shutter speed" "ISO" "f-stop" etc. mean!!!

I work out in San Francisco for a commercial real estate investment company. I've been with them for a year and a half now. Before that I was a student at UC Berkeley. I also work for H&R Block doing taxes. I just started doing that this year, thought I've worked for Block during the tax season as a part time gig for the last two years. Most of my friends think I'm weird, but I actually do taxes for fun!

Other hobbies and interests include knitting, which I taught myself how to do last year. I just picked up a book, some yarn, and a pair of needles, and had at it. Within two hours I had it down! That'll most likely be how I learn photography as well -- by just doing it. I also love to go camping and fishing (mostly for salmon and steelhead). I like going down to the shooting range and doing target practice -- mostly with pistols, though occasionally I'll get to play with someone's rifle. I love watching the TV show 24 (hence the 24 in my handle ) and all of the CSI/Law and Order shows. I'm also really into politics and getting into arguments with people, though at the same time I'm a certified mediator, so I also enjoy helping people settle their arguments.

My avatar is a picture of me that my boyfriend took last saturday with my new G5.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:29 PM   #182

Welcome aboard, Danielle. We're all still learning, so you're in good company.

You're extremely eclectic, what with photography and shooting guns (a Berkeley gal shooting guns?) and knitting and doing taxes and mediating and maintaining a crabby household.

More than pleased to meet you.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:38 PM   #183

Yes, I am an odd one. :lol: I get it from my mother actually. She's what you could call a "Jill of all trades." And I suppose I picked that up. I have an insatiable appetite for learning, and am constantly finding something new to sink my mental teeth into.

As for the Berkeley/guns thing -- I love surprising people with that. I'm actually a Republican, so I had a wild experience going to school there. I joined the conservative club on campus (which was actually the second largest club on campus, behind one of the Asian clubs), and was Vice President of the Cal Gun club. There's nothing like going somewhere and deliberately not fitting in. But, quite frankly, I think it made for a much better learning experience. I was forced to look at my opinions in a more critical light, because they were constantly being questioned and argued against.

I'm looking forward to adding photography to my long list of hobbies/talents/interests. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:03 PM   #184

Quote:
I'm actually a Republican, so I had a wild experience going to school there. I joined the conservative club on campus
You just warmed the cockles of my conservative heart.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:43 PM   #185

Dani,

Good for you! My wife, kids and I also enjoy both knids of shooting!

cfrick
cfrick is offline   Reply With Quote