Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:53 PM   #71

k1par wrote: " Fuji S620Z, Firefighters are the only people who run into something that everyone is running away from."

Well not everyone runs away.

chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:05 PM   #72

me- Steven

http://www.pbase.com/image/8607628/original

location: GPS coordinates on the left get you right to my driveway

now 47 going on 22 maybe 25 depending on my whims (i had a good time then)

career as of the moment and the last 17 yrs: Avionics Tech and everything else (Aircraft Mx Tech in the US or ground engineer in every other part of the world)on Commercial Airlines aircraft type. Specialty B777-200ER, B767-200,300,400, B757-200,300 others too. if its Boing its going.

other life and therapy: freelance Camera and related endevours.

fun stuff: ocean kayaking, building and riding road and mountain bikes, building and playng with computers, traveling(been here and there), hiking, xc and tele skiing. and other assorted things to potentially harm myself.

i've been shooting seriously since August 1995 when i purchased my first SLR an olympus OM-1 which i still own and works too.

http://www.pbase.com/crusader
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:15 PM   #73

Maybe the website was wrong, but I tried looking up the coordinates you listed awhile back... put me in the center of the ocean. Of course, now I can't find the website I used.

Isn't Ocean Kayaking fun? I do it fairly often, owning two seayaks myself. It's one of the reasons I go up the coast of Maine for my summer vacation. I ocean kayak every day I'm up there. Just gotta watch out, the water is a wee bit cold.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:25 PM   #74

watch the way the lat and long is entered. these are strictly decimal based and watch the N and W references. some need deg min sec. the coords are pretty much on with my garmin gps map 176 and my driveway isn't that long.

hey! i was just up there in late Aug for 10 days. i usually stay at the bass harbor camground on MDI. had to bring the stretched limo the loon 160 for the family. i also have my 20yr old northwest designed esprit glass single along with my werner camano waterwheels(paddles). low brace all the way. lived out in seattle for a short time. where i paddled was in the straits and that is definately drysuit country. 25 minutes in without and there is a good possability your not going to have a good tomorrow. it keeps me happy and is outstandingly relaxing. so many places you can go with them.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:44 PM   #75

I am 28 years old and was given my first camera when I was seven in Hong Kong, all the photos I took were either of knees or faces with the ceiling in the background.

When I was 13 I was at a school in Yorkshire North England that had wonderful darkroom facilities & I became addicted. I vividly remember the first print coming through in the developer tray, it was like magic (despite being out of focus, wrong exposure, dusty & with tramlines) After 5 years of studying photography I attained my L.R.P.S. Then all went quiet for 7 years as I studied law & accounting & worked for a big blue IT company.

In January this year my girlfriend & myself moved to Singapore, I decided to go digital & do what I have always loved to do, take pictures. So I set up a company & am waiting for some advertising to go through & get some customers. I am very lucky to have someone who will support me to follow my dream.

I agree with everyone who has said that this is a friendly & constructive forum, I thank you all for your patience with me in my battle to get my pictures to appear in the threads ops: . I feel photography is an art (perhaps for people who cannot draw very well) for expressing feelings or sharing pictures that make people smile.

We have a cat called Stuart & my sister lives out here with her husband & two kids. I love photography and other medium of art be it film, painting, music, television or anything. Art induces emotion which reminds us that we feel, which reminds us that we are alive ergo enjoy art, enjoy life.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:18 AM   #76

Ziggy

I might have also said that film is for the type of person who wants something more exact. I know that isn't required in photography (I've seen some abstract stuff in the "other photos" fourm) but I find that some of the people who drawn to photography do it because of how it captures (fairly closely) what you actually see.

I fully appreciate my dad's water color paintings... but I couldn't do it. I'd keep wanting to put in the details which he doesn't (and the painting doesn't need!) Of course, he also does pen-and-ink stuff and photography so we meet in the middle.

sjms

That did it, thanks.

I was up there in late Sept for a week (wish it was 2!) We go a few hours north of MDI. My Girlfirend's parents have owned a house on the shore for 30+ years. They are lucky enough to have retired and spend a 4-5 month summer up there. They also kayak up there with some custom made fiberglass boats. I've used them a few times and love them... but I can't complain, they gave us the seayaks when they got the others! Saved us a lot of money.

I should get at least a wet suit. Up where we go, you're basically dead in about 15 minutes in the water... after that you'll be too cold to swim and then you're alive, but doomed. We never go out without someone else to help.

If you want to learn some good kayaking spots up there, I have an in, as it were.

This past year I was crazy enough to take my 10D and 100-400 in the boat with me to take pictures of nesting Osprey. Got some nice pictures, but it's hard to get sharp pictures in the tide and swell. It was worth it but I now think I was a little nuts.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:18 AM   #77

eric we need to talk more. send ne your tele # PM.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:45 PM   #78

sjms: I looked at all your photos, all of them excellent, but one of them yanked me right inside it. It's of a train engine head-on, and it's the only thing you see at first, but then one's eyes roam to the top left where there's a horse and buggy (Amish, perhaps?) and on the top right is a farm. Was this wonderful photo planned or was the buggy a piece of serendipity?

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 4:49 PM   #79

pure luck. the museum is right in the heart of the penn dutch country. just a few hours from home. when i lived in queens ny i would see this engine 2-3 times a day when we played in a particular park where the then penn and then penn central RR tracks were. it was an engine of distinction.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 4:53 PM   #80

Quote:
it was an engine of distinction
It certainly was, and what a wonderful piece of juxtaposition with a much older form of transportation rolling down the road in the distance.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote