Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:41 AM   #1

A photo is taken this summer.. in a holiday by the sea.. [line][line]And this is the original color shot (with PP)..

[line]I just couldn't resist not to take a few shots.. I like her image..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:06 AM   #2

I am confused. Is that something that is new in style or approach? To me the trend is to hide the facial blemish not to enhance it. I am sure with your skill you will be able to clone them out. But you did not.

Would you be able to elaborate on this?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3

Hi Daniel..

I understand your confusion..

well.. a doll's face with a plastic smooth skin is out of fashion already for a while.. the most important thing in portrait is to show the special thing about the person.. don't you think she is cute with her natural face as it is?

I wouldn't mind to be a trendsetter in forum..

Thanks for stopping by and saying a word.

Have a great day!

Irena

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4

Wow, that is well-done! I can't really decide which version I like best, I am tending towards the color one atm, but that might change in a minute.

Thanks for sharing!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:38 PM   #5

Both are very well done. I bet a selective colored one with just her eyes colored would be incredible.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:22 PM   #6

I would hesitate to call freckles 'blemishes', though I will say that the method you chose to do the B&W conversion seems to have accentuated them. (I think it also has diminished the influence of the background.)

Aside from my predisposition against B&W, I think that, after seeing the color version, it's a shame to remove the color from those beautiful blue eyes.

Another masterpeice from DigitalGal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:39 PM   #7

I like these shots very much....to remove her freckles would take away part of who she is and what makes her beautiful. ...I like the color shot the best!
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:38 AM   #8

photowed wrote:
Quote:
I like these shots very much....to remove her freckles would take away part of who she is and what makes her beautiful.
I'm not saying the freckles should be removed. I'm saying that there are ways to do B&W conversion that wouldn't accentuate them to the extent they have here.

See Case Study: Conversions to Black & White
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 6:00 AM   #9

photowed wrote:
Quote:
I like these shots very much....to remove her freckles would take away part of who she is and what makes her beautiful. ...I like the color shot the best!
No. I would not want to remove that. I would have given a lot less emphasis on that though. Say at F2-F2.5, it would be easy to de-emphasis the freckles but emphasis on her eyes which are captivatingly beautiful.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...968&forum_id=5

Although I did not stress lip piercing in this series, quite a few people wrote back that they are not impressed.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:41 AM   #10

very cool shots and great photoshop work.

Sometimes photographers clone away everything to make the models even more beautiful but sometimes photographers enhance certain features in the face.

In this case it works perfectly.
Love the toning on the second picture.

I don't agree that the smoothskin is out of fashion, it never will be (or maybe it will) what is out of fashion is the glowy doll skin, but even that is still being used (bad retouching).
Overall you can say that every setup/model/assignment will ask for a different approach. Beauty portraits will often be more smooth than a character portrait like these.
For me it goes both directions, sometimes in the studio I will shop a model picture perfect, sometimes I will enhance certain areas in the skin.
For me outside shots are often totally unworked for the skin to match the surrounding areas.

So again, nice work

Greetings,
Frank
www.frankdoorhof.com
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote