Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 18, 2003, 4:33 PM   #1

Default sugestions appreciated.....

Any sugestions as to how to fix the burnt out hair on the right???

Any other sugestions outside of this also welcome.

Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 8:12 PM   #2

If I can't fix something, then I crop it out! :lol:

or

I am sure there are members on this forum who can really fix your problem.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:00 PM   #3

brightness and contrast. bring down the brightness level a bit it will help. again its like working in a darkroom in black and white. also ther is the dodging tool in PS. it may be time to learn to use it. its what i used to do with my hands and other assorted objects homemade.

the dodge tool is the black lollypop shaped icon(which is just like one i made way back then in about 5 different sizes and various shapes)(B&W was so much more fun and physical. you either looked like a nut job or a wizard working magic) . that image is saveable intact.

i would have gone a little deeper in the tone. the child does have very light blond hair so it will highlight out in bright light easily just as even your eye will see. don't try to correct for everything and try for and even toned image it already good. sometimes when you fix in one place you destroy in another.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:06 PM   #4

Default Where is Klaus when you need him?

Unfortunatly, blown out highlights are virtually impossible to "recover" from a digital image. It's better to either shoot bracketed shots or under-expose if there is a question about a shot being blown out...you can almost always recover darker information in the file (at least it's there). That being said, I'm sure someone like Klaus could work around this using more sophisticated Photoshop skills than I have!
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:07 PM   #5

no. its still saveable. to a reasonable level. like you said don't replace the engine for a dirty fuel filter. right?

but you are right about bracketing or even better shoot RAW if possible. that way you have a level of exposure control after the shot in questionable lighting.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:31 PM   #6

I agree with Kalypso on this one. Unfortunately, especially with something like hair, blown out highlights really can't be recovered. That being said, you can fiddle around with a bit of cloning and some brightness and contrast. Here's my go at it. I know that Klaus is a real expert with it comes to using the dodge and burn tools so maybe he has a better suggestion.

I cloned some of the hair and adjusted brightness/contrast on a duplicate layer, then revealed the part of the pic I didn't want adjusted.

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:37 PM   #7

two against one i guess your all right.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:16 AM   #8

Thankyou all for your sugestions. It helped. Espesially, learning to foresee this before you take the photo and underexposing it.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:55 AM   #9

What an instructive thread !

Soundengineer, everybody was so caught in the correction problem that no evaluation has been given to the shot

In my understanding it's a nice shot : a wonderful expression and the sepia tone looks like being appropriate for me.
Wish my Coolpix 4300 didn't take so much time between the click and the shutter opening : this delays makes my will of shooting at children expression not an easy task ( how many expression changes in a half of a second !!! )

Mmm, try also to apply automatic levels: you will gain a better tonal dynamics.

Sjms: your memories of the dark room are invaluable. Keep them going.
However , aren't you talking about the burn tool instead of the dodge tool ?
As far as I know and I use it the dodge tool is for brighting areas, not for darkening them as it would be needed for this burnt hairs.
Now I understand the strange icon for the dodge tool : was it really a kind of lollipop you placed over the dark areas to reduce the exposure time hence brighting them ?

Another thing : digital images suffer from the saturation problem in a different way than the analogic film : once your reach a large area of 255,255,255 white pixels there's noting to do with it: no decimals values to play with !
Overexposed or underexposed area on a film I think have some continous values that can be reduced or amplified by burning and dodging when u use the enlarger ( or viceversa, I always make a little bit of mess !)

jazcan : what a nice idea to clone stamp the hairs ! Well done
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:16 AM   #10

here are the terms and explanations of dodging and burning.

http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/burndodge.htm

burning- to add exposure to a particular area. hence making it depending on to item whiter or darker

dodging- to reduce exposure in a particular area. for similar results as above

one method additive the other subtractive.

in PS masks can be made to do this but it seems that most people want a one button approach and give up more easily if they don't get it on the first try.

PS is a Darkroom and Darkroom technique can be adapted to use in it. most people today have spent little to no time in one so conceptwise they're sort of lost. so a lot of good images are lost due to lack of knowledge. a good image worked in PS can take hours or days to do just like the old days.