Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:50 PM   #1

Saturday, I had the chance to shoot my first wedding that wasn't as a family favor. Most of the best shots came outdoors....even though wind kept taking the veil

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:51 PM   #2

The wedding party

Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

The groom's party

Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:56 PM   #4

My wife helped me with the shoot, and I have to admit, she got some of the nicest, including this one of the flower girl before the wedding.

First three shots are with a Pentax K20d and Sigma 18-50 EX DG lens. Final shot is with a Pentax K10d and FA*50-135 lens. Comments and suggestions welcome

Paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:37 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

I really like the 2nd shot, a really good job even though not all are looking up this is common with a large group so nothing to panic too much about.

I like the pose and composition of 3 but for me the sepia really doesn't work.

That leaves 1 and 4

With the first one it is an OK shot but would really have benefited with some fill flash to give them some pop. The best way to to get a good exposure here is to shoot manual and then set an exposure for the background then use the flash to pull up the subjects. For this you can either use manual flash but I'm not brave enough so will let the camera do this and generally find with Canon that some slight positive flash compensation is needed but worth having a play around.

As for the last one it is cute, but unfortunately shooting down at her doesn't give a comfortable shot, this is where me at 6'6" has an issue so you can often find me sitting on the floor especially in portrait sessions (well there you can find my laying down).

Lastly, how did you feel about it as it wasn't a family one, a little more pressure?? LOL.

I'm sure they will be happy with the results especially with creative shots like 2 and 3.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:55 AM   #6

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul,

I really like the 2nd shot, a really good job even though not all are looking up this is common with a large group so nothing to panic too much about.

I like the pose and composition of 3 but for me the sepia really doesn't work.

That leaves 1 and 4

With the first one it is an OK shot but would really have benefited with some fill flash to give them some pop. The best way to to get a good exposure here is to shoot manual and then set an exposure for the background then use the flash to pull up the subjects. For this you can either use manual flash but I'm not brave enough so will let the camera do this and generally find with Canon that some slight positive flash compensation is needed but worth having a play around.

As for the last one it is cute, but unfortunately shooting down at her doesn't give a comfortable shot, this is where me at 6'6" has an issue so you can often find me sitting on the floor especially in portrait sessions (well there you can find my laying down).

Lastly, how did you feel about it as it wasn't a family one, a little more pressure?? LOL.

I'm sure they will be happy with the results especially with creative shots like 2 and 3.
Thanks for the comments, Mark. A little more pressure is hardly the way to put it...LOL. I had mixed feelings about the sepia treatment on #3, and I've posted the color version of the shot in the Pentax forum along with some other shots from the wedding.

I'm still learning how best to use fill flash, and I agree that it would have given more pop to #4. My only defense :-)is that the shot was at the end of the session when the bride's arms were beginning to turn blue from the cold wind, thus the set-up was somewhat hurried and offered little time for experimentation.

I'm a big man, also, and often find myself on the ground, too. I like #4 even though it was shooting down because of the effect of the runner and the varied light on the aisle leading to her face. I'm not sure if that would have been lost at a lower angle.

Overall, the day was a learning experience, to say the least, and yes, the family is very pleased.

Paul
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:25 AM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I'm still learning how best to use fill flash, and I agree that it would have given more pop to #4.

Overall, the day was a learning experience, to say the least, and yes, the family is very pleased.

Paul
Paul,

You had a good time and nice images too. Using fill flash in wedding is a big deal as usually it is under high ceiling.

Try iso1600, bounce flash and wider aperture . The wider aperture (at least to me) can only apply for single subject.

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote