Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1

I took this picture of my nephew, I adore the look on his little face but am wondering if it would benefit from some post production work, especially around the eyes? Im just dipping my toe into this area so any advise or CC would be welcome.
Attached Images

bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Beautiful photo. I did a tiny bit of PP, let me know what you think. A little levels adjustment to brighten things up and get a bit more contrast. Dodged the eye area to lighten it up and applied a little USM. You'll get better results with the original image .

Attached Images

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3

IMO, it is just a bit underexposed, and lacking contrast. A slightly warmer tone might also help have those tears and expression jump out at one. With your permission, here is my take on the adjustments. It would also tug the heartstrings as monochrome.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4

duplicate post
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:45 PM   #5

John G - gosh, that makes a real difference, if you have the time could you explain what USM is? I'll have a go at it tomorrow

Brian - the eyes and tears do "pop" more now but I think I prefer the more blue clothing . I'll try a monochrome conversion too, thanks
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:47 PM   #6

USM stands for Un Sharp Mask - it's a sharpening technique. Most photo editing packages have the feature.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:14 PM   #7

I took the liberty to PP this. I hope you don't mind. It is a wonderful shot by the way.

Truly evokes emotion when I first saw it.

Cropped out the white portion on the right side of the photo and instead I sharpened the eyes first before I did a white balance adjustment. The look could be different from my monitor to yours based on one's monitor calibration.

Mahalo,

Tom
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:40 PM   #8

Oh dear,
what happened? Anyway, here's my attempt. The basic things are really white balance and histogram works... I don't know if you want some more sharpness/detail - but since you can do the WB and histogram easily yourself I added some refocussing. For showing the photo on a computer screen my version is already a bit too crisp, but it shows what *can* be done. In a print it should work nicely.

Surprisingly my attempt is quite close to what vIZnquest did (only my WB is quite different and I was quite aggresive with refocussing), although I didn't worked on the eyes seperately but processed the whole image.

Regarding your question - you captured the moment very well - it just looks a tad dull (histogram) and when you assume the white in the eyes is the "true" white then color adjustments happen. The sharpening/detail works will probably add something when you print the image. Of course I'd suggest you process the whole image, maybe try some other crop (I assume this is a crop already?).

Hope you like it, best regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:57 PM   #9

Just to illustrate, that WB and histogram does most of the job, here the 2 steps of postprocessing:
- left: your original
- middle: WB and histogram
- right: WB, histogram and detail/refocus

Yours,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:05 PM   #10

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I took the liberty to PP this. I hope you don't mind.
I don't mind at all, infact I'm delighted at getting some input that I can learn from, thanks very much !