Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:45 PM   #11

this is absolutely amazing!! I showed my wife and she about flipped. What program did you use?
joshwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:54 PM   #12

Thanks for the kind comments. For quick head shot touch up and such, we use a program called Portrait Professional. Their we site is www.PortraitProfessional.com, and it's a nice little piece of software. Just remember that's it's ONLY good for head shots; it doesn't help overall skin tones if it's a full body shot. They have a trial version that you can download and try, I believe the trial version doesn't allow you to save your pictures.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:10 PM   #13

joshwhite: your photo with a quick (2 sec ) pass through Noise Ninja:

Lovely lady!

cheers

bb2
Attached Images

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:13 PM   #14

This was done after that last edit?? If so I have to get that program! It cleaned up all of the pixelation that resulted. Thanks.
joshwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:27 PM   #15

This is modified from your 7.54am post above. I can't see your flickr version(s). Noise Ninja and similar programmes are very well known and respected.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:04 PM   #16

@joshwhite

I took your last edit, as the first photos don't show up for me, and did a 2-pass refocus. Sorry, but I thought the eyes needed that specific sparkle... can't help it.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:46 AM   #17

thkn77,

Looks very, very nice and natural.

Sometimes, there is a tendency to over-process and facial skin becomes too smooth and "plasticky".

What did you pass the photo through? PS? Noise Ninja like the other poster?
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:30 PM   #18

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
thkn77,

Looks very, very nice and natural.

Sometimes, there is a tendency to over-process and facial skin becomes too smooth and "plasticky".

What did you pass the photo through? PS? Noise Ninja like the other poster?

Thank you!

To avoid overprocessing is very hard when you really start on that kind of job, so I'll probably never blame someone for doing it... it's so easy. I always try to put the original image as a layer in the whole edit and switch it on and off at times to see how far I am away from the original.

As for your question - I didn't use a specific noise removal program. The edit was done in PhotoLine (http://www.pl32.com), my gfx program of choice. No real big or unusual tricks used here, it's just 2 passes of my very own "refocus" approach with carefully tweaked parameters. I wasn't really trying for noise reduction here, but for better details/sharpnessin the face and especially the eyes. You could do the same in almost every program with layer support and basic filters... (including PS, of course) the only somewhat advanced is a "adaptive blur" (but I guess that isn't something special, too). Done right (needs some patience and doesn't work every time) a noise reduction effect in the "out of focus" areas come naturally from the processing itself, as there are several different "blur" operations involved. No selections, feather, lasso, alpha-channels or higher-grade postprocessing magic used, I didn't even processed the color channels separately (which I would have done with a strong noise image).

You will notice the whole effect when you use the original image and my edit as layers and switch these on and off. To my mind these are already some drastic changes... but I wanted to show what's possible here from my point of view - you know, everyone has his/her own preferences and stuff .

As for the "plastic look" - I tried to make sure to keep details high also in the skin etc. - I even overprocessed them a tad in the first steps. The final refocus result was then applied with a 70% (or so) opacity to the original image. Since people mostly like smooth/clean skin in portraits I adjusted the wholeimage in a way, that the otherwise very prominent skin structure just adds a (tiny) bit of structure.

Again, glad you like it. Kind regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:24 AM   #19

thkn777,

Thanks a lot for the explanation.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote