Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Every January they celebrate the date when Jesus Christ was baptized and the person who gets a hold of the cross in the water is blessed, but this year only 1 person showed up, 450D Tamron 18-270 VC.

And here is where i always go when in my wifes City Gythio and have grilled Octopus with sometimes Ouzo but preferably beer,

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:04 PM   #2

Hi Hercules

I'll comment here.... great series, it really tells a story (but also thanks for your helpful introductory remarks)!

Was it raining? Some umbrellas there, but other people don't seem dressed like it would be raining.

Good on the brave soul who jumped in the water - and got the cross (even though there was a lack of "competition"). I like the facial expressions of several people in the crowd as he's in the water and getting out. Knowing your part of the world, the water would not have been THAT cold, not like parts of Russia where some people chop through the ice to go for a swim (crazy imho!) :?

The water still has a nice blue /green tinge to it. The boats and other wharf / dock features have a rustic typical "Greek coastal" feel to it, that's great. Reminiscent of my visit to your country in the far south west.

The cafe that you visit looks great... I should go there and join you for a drink, though I am not a beer drinker (and not big on ouzo either) - but a fine wine perhaps? The octopus photo is GREAT.. the best of the series technically imho. I love the composition. Very natural and powerful!

I'm sure the 18-270mm Tamron lens was a helpful range for such situations as you've shared. Thanks for posting.

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:16 PM   #3

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hercules

I'll comment here.... great series, it really tells a story (but also thanks for your helpful introductory remarks)!

Was it raining? Some umbrellas there, but other people don't seem dressed like it would be raining.

Good on the brave soul who jumped in the water - and got the cross (even though there was a lack of "competition"). I like the facial expressions of several people in the crowd as he's in the water and getting out. Knowing your part of the world, the water would not have been THAT cold, not like parts of Russia where some people chop through the ice to go for a swim (crazy imho!) :?

The water still has a nice blue /green tinge to it. The boats and other wharf / dock features have a rustic typical "Greek coastal" feel to it, that's great. Reminiscent of my visit to your country in the far south west.

The cafe that you visit looks great... I should go there and join you for a drink, though I am not a beer drinker (and not big on ouzo either) - but a fine wine perhaps? The octopus photo is GREAT.. the best of the series technically imho. I love the composition. Very natural and powerful!

I'm sure the 18-270mm Tamron lens was a helpful range for such situations as you've shared. Thanks for posting.

Paul

Hi Paul thank you for your appreciation yes it was raining off and on we have been having lots of rain this year, usually every year there is 4-5 people that jump in. The water might not be as cold as other countries but beleive me it's cold enough, yes my friend come join me for a few glasses of wine and that fine Octupus
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:52 AM   #4

Nice series, my friend! Hey, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to be blessed either,feelingmyself in my 20's : )Btw, the guy must have felt the boiling feel on his skin :-)The remedy isnear, however, as you captured:the good octopus and ouzo

Cheers!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:27 AM   #5

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Nice series, my friend! Hey, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to be blessed either,feelingmyself in my 20's : )Btw, the guy must have felt the boiling feel on his skin :-)The remedy isnear, however, as you captured:the good octopus and ouzo

Cheers!
Thank you arkadas, I'd like to be blessed also but i don't think i would be able to jump in lol
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:00 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

hercules,

Truly great photo journalism with that extra appeal, worthy of publishing anywhere. For sure the diver is a spartan? He got hold of the rope. What size is the cross?

Yes, telling a story, by the way, is, as you know ,"high fashion" in the photographic community, also in so called "fine art photography"

Anyhow, the subject must bridge several decades, Very refreshing series. Brr

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:05 AM   #7

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
hercules,

Truly great photo journalism with that extra appeal, worthy of publishing anywhere. For sure the diver is a spartan? He got hold of the rope. What size is the cross?

Yes, telling a story, by the way, is, as you know ,"high fashion" in the photographic community, also in so called "fine art photography"

Anyhow, the subject must bridge several decades, Very refreshing series. Brr

Torgny
Thanks for your appreciation my friend the diver is from Gythio (where this takes place) that is a 20 minute drive from Sparta, and the cross is about 46cm long