Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share my forthcoming blog post with you before it get's published.

The phrase "Our Kid" is a slang term used in the northwest of England to describe a sibling.

In this case I have used it to describe my older brother. This is one of two shots, the second is yet to be processed.

I've been experimenting with Photoshop on a new post processing technique and would be interested to hear what you guys think of the finished result:

Incidentally, for those of you who are interested, the image was lit using a strobe fired through a softbox above camera right, with the right hand side of the subject being lit by a window.

Many thanks,

Matt

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:17 AM   #2

Funny,the phrase'our kid' is alsoused to describe a sibling in my native language!Perhaps you might have celtic background there, whoemigrated from central Anatolia during antiquity :?

As for the potrait; Well done, Matt! I really likedthe job.It seems as if youhave capturedsomeone's mostfateful moment! Hey, was he about to lose his queen at the game at the time of shooting ?? : )) Btw, I should also point out that he looks likeMark Wahlberg in that portrait!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:27 AM   #3

Hi Bahadir,

The spoken word is indeed a powerful force so it should really come as no suprise that it transcends national boundaries...despite the fact in this case it is slang! Very interesting!

I'm pleased you like the shot, as is always the case, more time was spent PP than the actual shoot!

This is one of 2...the second image is quite different!.......
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:33 AM   #4

Surely he's your 'big kid'. He looks pretty hard to me. Brilliant photography, and whatever the post-processing was, it works well!

I see you've become a soft southerner, yourself, though it doesn't show in your excellent, emphatic photographs.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:44 AM   #5

Who can fault this picture? The skin texture is right on. The details are amazing and exactly what I want to see in a picture. I particularly like the treatment of his hand. Excellent job and looking forward to seeing the next one. Anything special about your pp techniques?

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Alan, yes he is my older brother but fortunately for me I'm bigger than him! Whilst I have migrated south from Burnley, for my sins I regularly travel north to watch my beloved BFC and so retain my northern charm!

@Bynx as far as I'm aware there is nothing to special about the PP, aside from the fact it was very lengthy (took about a week to finish the image and used approx 30 layers). Put very briefly, differing exposures were worked in PS, not in the context of HDR but instead using blending modes. The Channels were also manipulated.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:41 AM   #7

As I said I like the treatment of the hand. I can see the work in it. While not badly out of focus its not as sharp, nor should it be, as his face. Its just right. I also like the color, just a hint to give the warmth. But a cool warmth.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:22 PM   #8

Excellent shot and PP Matt, seems like he's in deep thought and i have to agree with bahadir he does sort of look like Mark Wahlberg in this shot
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote