Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:02 PM   #1

Hey I just took this shot and then put it through photoshop, and thought that I would try and create a fake backdrop effect. Does it work, or does it look bad. Just need some fresh eyes on this to give me some idea of what I am doing.

joshwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2

I worked on it a little more last night and took some of the lighting out on the right-hand side. It is kinda wierd, but whenever I post on here the picture always seems a little more exposed than in any other program. Anyway, I think it is a little better. Please let me know if this looks bad. I am trying to see if I can somewhat create a studio like environment in photoshop. If anyone has any suggestions on how to best do that please let me know. Thanks.

joshwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:19 PM   #3

Even with the "magic extractor" in PS, it's always a challenge to remove an existing background and replace it with something else. You've done a good job, and there are just a few remnants on the removed background on the right side, in the hair. Most people won't notice it, especially in the second shot.

One trick that I've done in the past when shooting against a green screen, specifically planning on removing the background and replacing it with something else, was to use stronger than normal hair lights. Sometimes accomplished with 2 strobes behind the individual on both sides, or crank up the softbox used for normal hair lights. This gives more contrast between the subject and the background, and the magic extractor can perform a little better.

Another way that I cheated was to replace the background with a similarrly colored digital background. For example, I have 2 chromakey backdrops. One green and one blue. If I used the green chromakey, I would usually replae it with a green digital background. Any green that spilled over to the subject in the picture wasn't easily detected because the background was a similar color. Give those suggestions a try, or be ready to work with PS at the pixel level! LOL!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:48 PM   #4

I felt a bit uneasy with the color of the background & thought it might appeal to me more if I blurred it a bit too, so I changed it. Also cropped a piece off the left of the picture. Just my 2c worth -
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote