Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1

These are a few shots I took while in the Blue Ridge Mts., NC over the holidays. Any comments orsuggestions are greatly appreciated as I hone my skills.

Big Texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:14 AM   #2

The third shot is my favorite. The first 2, at least to me, suffer from lack of focus on the subject. The2 (One color, one B&W) of the woman leaning on the tree is nice except for the twig that starts at the bottom left and runs across her leg and into the picture a little too much - it's distracting. The final few are nice, especially the next to the last one. And, I believe all of them could use a slight bump up in saturation to bring out the colors a little more. That's a beautiful area up there, that's for sure. Nice work, just watch for the little things.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:42 PM   #3
conor

I think the first two could be combined (selectively colored). the subject in full color and the tree / and background in black/white. The first on its own doesnt do much for me, the image looks grayscaled and lacks punch, the original is a much more captivating image.

I like the third exactly as it is. The subject stands out well and the color works for me.

I think the fourth makes a great picture for a family album, and probably means more to you to see the young man's curiosity than it does to me as a portrait (because we don't have a face to go with the person)

I'm once again not a fan of the grayscaled picture 5, and my only complaint about the sixth is the leaves in the forground. I find them distracting. Unlike the first pair, I wouldnt selectively color the subject...

I think the seventh is the best shot of the group, subject stands out nicely, and doesnt feel posed. If it were up to me, I'd crop 50-100 px off the right side of the image so the subject's face felt centered, but that's once again my personal preference.

I like the last the least, it feels awkward and posed, and a bit bright.

All in all, I think it's an excellent set (of your family?). Thanks for sharing, they've given me a pile of ideas for outdoors pictures!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:28 PM   #4

Conor:

Thanks for the input. All good suggestions. In reference to your suggestion of combining the first two shots, how would I go about that. I have PS CS2 but havent really delved into the various tools yet. Your assumption on these being family pics is correct. So I obviously am a little more partial to them as a whole than most would be. Nonetheless I am looking for critique so I can grow in the hobby and produce better memories for myself and children in the future.

BT
Big Texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:00 PM   #5
conor

I'll take a shot at the first one quickly - it'll be sloppy because i'm working over an RDP connection... check back in an hour
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:05 PM   #6
conor

conor wrote:
Quote:
I'll take a shot at the first one quickly - it'll be sloppy because i'm working over an RDP connection... check back in an hour

Ok, this took 20 minutes plus 10 to get it down to a size i could attach

My method, by no means "correct", it's just how i do this...
1) open image in Photoshop
2) duplicate the background layer
3) select the new layer
4) delete everything that isnt subject
5) select background layer
6) convert to black/white however you want
7) make both layers visible
Voila, color subject on black and white

My method to make an image like this black/white (by no means correct, etc etc)
1) move the color version of the subject to a new image
2) view each channel one by one, often theres nice detail in one of them, in this case, I liked how the Red channel looked
3) delete the other channels (which leaves you a black/white image)
4) duplicate the remaining channel twice (now you have 3 the same)
5) convert the image back to RGB
6) move the subject back into the image

Edit: by the way, you'll see my "sloppy" if you look at the right eye lashes and hair towards the front of the subject's head. not all the color detail has been removed. In short, I didnt take much care deleting the background from the colored layer.

Edit: on second thought, I'd probably add another layer to this to darken the tree, but thats easier than what I've already explained and uses the same concepts (Once you're happy with the black/white you've done on the background, simply copy the background again, delete everything except the tree, darken it and leave that layer in front of the background, but probably behind the subject)

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 10:14 AM.