Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:30 AM   #11

Wow! That is just really cool! I bet you were really excited when you saw what a wonderful shot you got....fantastic!

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:47 AM   #12

Great shot – perfect timing. The muzzle flash doesn’t stand out as much but I prefer it brightened a little.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 4:13 PM   #13

Great shot. Perfect timing. Keep up the good work.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:03 PM   #14

slipe

After I posted the picture I thought it looked a little dull. I find your shot does bad things to the guys skin, but the building and the smoke/fire look somewhat better. I might try playing more with the contrast. I do see your point.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:05 PM   #15

Better to handle the skin separately IMO. The contrast control is a dull tool if that is what you are referring to. In Photoshop help Adobe says it is not to be used for advanced work. It just moves the white and black point toward and away from each other the same amount – which you seldom want to do. Adobe’s objection is that it affects all of the pixels in the image. The main difference you see is the fire and smoke?

Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:36 AM   #16

I am certainly inexperienced with PS, so I don't claim that contrast is the best way, its just one way I've found to alter an otherwise dull image and increase the "pop". I'm not surprised that all it does is place with the curve that way..... Makes sense.

One of my goals for this winter (when I can't shoot as much) is to get better with PS and edit more of my pictures. I enjoy the shooting, but not the editing.

Not only does the fire and smoke need some help, I kind think the building looked a little dull too. But I like the skin tone.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:52 AM   #17

DON'T GO POP HAPPY. remember the conditions you actually shot in. you are trying to reproduce that moment. all the mods i have seen here make it look candy coated and unreal. look at the smoke on slipes no detail at all. the uniform almost looks glow in the dark on all of them except the original. subtle changes needed on the original not a spray paint job. a little contrast up and levels thats all thats needed.

the image will go pop from the subject not from a dye job.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:34 AM   #18

I forgot to add this would be a great Photo of the Day pic.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
DON'T GO POP HAPPY. remember the conditions you actually shot in. you are trying to reproduce that moment. all the mods i have seen here make it look candy coated and unreal. look at the smoke on slipes no detail at all. the uniform almost looks glow in the dark on all of them except the original. subtle changes needed on the original not a spray paint job. a little contrast up and levels thats all thats needed.

the image will go pop from the subject not from a dye job.
I agree the colors are Disneyfied. I was mainly trying to brighten it without losing the fireball. It is difficult to end up with decent results from an image that has already had contrast applied along with levels and sharpening. I thought the smoke in mine had too much definition rather than too little.

But the image is too dark. If you look at his modified image in levels you will see that there is no way to bring the white point in without burning out the fireball and the gamma thins the image. There has probably already been too much contrast applied. That is part of the problem with the brightened versions.

The exposure was absolutely perfect for the fireball. Any general treatment of the image detracts from it. This is brightened some without the Disney colors, but it was mostly done in the separate channels. I think I could get the original image brighter without it looking artificial. I’m curious to see what you can do with contrast and levels that will brighten the image without losing the fireball – I got nowhere.

Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:35 PM   #20

here is where darkroom experience works over PS experience. i played with it in PS with some simple commands.
1- my screen is calibrated for color and is done every 6 months

2- auto contrast brought the the depth in the image without bringing up the brightness. i can see from the shot it was a dull day. sometimes you have to accept your shooting conditions. this also brought out the flash and smoke without plastisizing it.

3-next was auto level to make the colors more natural. on a 10D and a 1Ds your really don't have to work on the image too much.
if you want after you can manually adjust after.

4- sharpen to taste.

it will be a good image without changing color.

sometimes having too many tools can fog the issue at hand. try KISS before the hammer.

now if your worried about exposure shoot RAW where you have more options like adjusting exposure depending on the original as much as 2 stops after the fact and is a simple slider adjustment.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote