Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 18, 2009, 7:29 PM   #1

Default New studio lighting - First test pics

No fancy pose, just used my son as a guinea pig to mess around with the lighting set up. I have never taken any studio photos before and was simply experimenting based on what I've read online regarding studio lighting set up. I was amazed at the changes that even the most subtle light movements would make on the subject. I have a lot to learn, but am looking forward to taking more "studio" type photos. Any and all comments are welcome if you see how I might have lighted the subject better. Thanks

The set up was a main light, 3 feet back, white umbrella, 45 deg to the left, about 7 feet high, shining down on the face. The fill light 5 feet back, 45 deg to the right, soft box umbrella, about 4 feet high, facing up to the chest area, back light on ground facing backdrop (very disappointed in this light source, not strong enough). The subtle color differences is me messing around in PS to tweak in color.
Attached Images

soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2

Congrats on your studio! Your step son has the looks of a young athlete statue from antiquity indeed, though not that of a warrior figure : ) It is the shorts with 'patchy' pattern under the black sportswear which is a bit distracting, imo, as well as the wrinkles of the black backdrop (which is a breeze to arrange at PS though) You might also try a pose his head turned as in #3 in your previous post, preserving the hands also which are often almost as expressive as the face. Good job mate!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3

i have a two light flash kit , i havent played with it enough to be honest i set it up in my room which isnt that large .... i have the softbox about 3 to 4 feet away on the left hand side facing the subject and tilted at 45% the flash umbrella i have at the right hand side facing away from the subject almost at the side of me where i shoot from. trial and error is the way forward and changing the backgroungd colour can have a major impact

i like the lighting in the third image .... but 1 minor niggle is you seem to lose the hair detial amongst the background dont know if this was intentional?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 6:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. At this point nothing is intentional, just experimenting with light angles. I think this will be a fun opportunity moving forward, never having really practiced with studio lighting. The lighting seemed a bit flat to me. Will need to experiment with keeping shadows in the picture as opposed to focusing on removing them all as I seem to have done. The color issues are my experimenting in PS. Trying to get flattering lighting first off. Will want to take my stepsons senior photos, but still have experimenting to do with lighting locations. The third image is more straight out of the camera. i think I'm close, but need to tweak a bit to get a more 3 dimensional feel.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Congrats on your studio! Your step son has the looks of a young athlete statue from antiquity indeed, though not that of a warrior figure : ) It is the shorts with 'patchy' pattern under the black sportswear which is a bit distracting, imo, as well as the wrinkles of the black backdrop (which is a breeze to arrange at PS though) You might also try a pose his head turned as in #3 in your previous post, preserving the hands also which are often almost as expressive as the face. Good job mate!
all great suggestions. I think i still need to work on lighting angles to get more depth to the photo. I seem to have lit it too evenly and the image looks flat to me. But once I get the lighting down, then i will focus on the posing.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:02 PM   #6

Did a few tweaks on the test photos. . .what do you guys think?
Attached Images