Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 19, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1

Default My Son (Natural)

Un-posed photo of my son having just had a swim. Taken with Nikon D40 and Tamron 70-300mm. First go with my new lens (I'm pleased) comments welcome.
Attached Images

ianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2

On the positive side I like the concept of the shot and you've got some great bokeh here. The shot isn't particularly sharp but my guess is you have not applied any USM - and this is strait out of the camera. Some USM (unsharp mask) should help that along quite nicely. The two aspects of the shot that are troubling are:
1. It's overexposed - including blown highlights on the towel as well as a few hot spots on his ear and nose. In general in bright light for close ups like this you're better off underexposing a bit. Without shooting RAW you can't recover those highlights well in jpeg but if the image is a bit underexposed (preserving highlights) you have more leeway to correct in post processing.

2. Overall composition. There's almost half the frame empty with your son's face bisecting the middle diagonal and looking strait down. Having a little more space in front works better if the subject is looking into that empty space. Given your son is looking down it doesn't work as well. Now if the aspect ratio of the shot were changed to 4x5 and the right side of the frame cut off just after his hair the shot would work better for me.

I think you're seeing the potential that lens can provide you - now it's a matter of controlling light/exposure and composition to take the next step.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 1:21 PM   #3

i also like the shot but as mentioned it could do with a slight crop either leaving the whole hair in and cloning the blue out or cropping the strand of hair out (added a little sharpness)

simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 3:42 AM   #4

Thanks Simple, I agree your tweeks have enhanced the photo. What software do you use for editing?
Old May 26, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5

Default cropped and sharpened

Better ?
Attached Images