Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 28, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Informal Portraits with Story

This story starts last Sept. at the wedding reception of the couple in #1. My family was invited as we are neighbors of the groom's parents. I amused myself taking photos of friends, the extended family and locale/setting/environment shots with my Z612 (the reception was held at a nicely landscaped/appointed pavilion associated with a winery in East-Central Iowa.) I avoided the couple and immediate family as there was a hired photographer to do that function. I noticed as I was taking the environmental shots the hired gun was watching me and moving the couple in each time I found an attractive setting. I returned the favor by shooting off of his poses after he'd taken his photo. I burned all the photo to a CD and gave them to the groom's mother.

Upshot was that the groom's mother liked my work better than the hired gun's and therefore asked me to take photos of her family wearing the Chicago Cubs shirts as she intends to redecorate her computer room with a Cubs theme. The original concept was to have the family in front of a painting (on a railroad overpass retaining wall) of the Wrigley Field scoreboard, #2. She decided the day of the shoot that the ivy had not grown enough and moved the location to the riverfront park.

She offered to pay but I declined as I'm still using the Z612 and it doesn't seem kosher to charge friends for that. Beyond that there were other constraints that reduced the chances that I'd be satisfied with the work. These constraints included only twenty minutes max, no available risers/benches to created a more vertical element to the composition and wet enough grass to make sitting/kneeling undesirable as the family was going to a comedy club immediately after (not good idea to show up at improv w/grass stains.) I managed a number small variations on the basic shot at #3.

The bright spot however was the chance to photograph the middle son and his gf, #4.

A. C.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac.smith; May 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Hi A.C.-

That is a great story and a very nicely done series of photos. The mother ought to be very happy with the resulting photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 8:21 PM   #3

Sarah,

Thanks for your kind words. I may not have succeeded as I didn't make her look slender enough. I did try as the "V" pattern was intend to put her farther away from the camera relative to the younger two sons hence slimmer in comparison.

A. C.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4

I like the glowing lighting. Was it evening?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I like the glowing lighting. Was it evening?
Yes, it was evening. My time window for this project was 6:40 pm to 7:00 pm which was about 45-60 min. before sundown. I used fill flash with a small improvised diffuser over the flash. The diffuser consisted of a 3 oz. translucent plastic disposable cup with foil on the back half of the cup. It was held over the built in flash with rubber bands.

A. C.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
Yes, it was evening. My time window for this project was 6:40 pm to 7:00 pm which was about 45-60 min. before sundown. I used fill flash with a small improvised diffuser over the flash. The diffuser consisted of a 3 oz. translucent plastic disposable cup with foil on the back half of the cup. It was held over the built in flash with rubber bands.

A. C.
your my kinda photog, i use what ever is available! i see some folks with all kind of expensive gadgets trying to impress with their money spent, and still not get the shot! and as far as mom, no disrespect, but there are NO brushes in photochop that automatically do that! i shoot schools and there are a lot of teachers who ask that same thing, " can you make me look 100 lbs thinner? can you make me look 20 years younger?" yeah right!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:07 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing the humbly related but demonstrative story revealing what the 'amateur spirit' capable of! Such a nice time of the day to shoot, indeed. If only the Z612 could shoot raw for somewhat extended dynamic range, but Kodak image processing chip reveals great colours. Again, well done mate!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Thanks for sharing the humbly related but demonstrative story revealing what the 'amateur spirit' capable of! Such a nice time of the day to shoot, indeed. If only the Z612 could shoot raw for somewhat extended dynamic range, but Kodak image processing chip reveals great colours. Again, well done mate!
Thanks for your kind words. Kodak has started including RAW capabilities on some of their newest Z cameras but on the whole I not sure it would make a major impact on my photography at this time. I don't really have the time presently to develop even 5% of your Photoshop skills. Maybe in a couple of years when I "retire".

A. C.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:20 AM   #9

Nice shots
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote