Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:06 AM   #1
conor

Default Steph - Informal Portrait

Impromptu portrait shot on my deck:

Shot was resized and lightly sharpened to clear it up (after the resize). No other editing was done.

C&C very welcome.

f5, 1/125s, ISO200
SB600 @ 1/4 + Gary Fong Origami Diffuser
Sigma 28-70 f2.8 @ 70mm
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2

You've attained perfect exposure imo! So, not even a minor editing other than sharpening?...The SB600 along with the diffuser seem to have done the job very decently ; ) You might allow a bit to the lefthandside emphisizing that the supporting hand belongs to the subject : ) (...and thus a bit decentered look as well)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:43 AM   #3
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
You've attained perfect exposure imo! So, not even a minor editing other than sharpening?...The SB600 along with the diffuser seem to have done the job very decently ; ) You might allow a bit to the lefthandside emphisizing that the supporting hand belongs to the subject : ) (...and thus a bit decentered look as well)
I opened the original in IrfanView, resized the frame, and hit Shift+S to get the slight sharpening.
I love this reflector, it comes with a white panel and an orange panel and was definitely worth the 30USD I paid

I agree about the shot feeling out-of-center; we were sitting on the deck having a drink and I felt it was the right time to capture her smile.

I do have another from earlier in the day, shot with my 70-200. Unfortunately, it's very out of focus (the body was set on single shot auto-focus rather than continuous and she was walking towards me)

This one got a bit more sharpening work than the first, trying to recover the image from its severe OOF problems, and it was cropped out of a full body frame.

1/250s, f2.8, ISO200
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 @ 200mm

Edit: Looking back, I wish I'd shot this at f4 1/125, I might have fluked the focus...

Last edited by conor; Nov 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4

Yea, no doubt, it was the right time to capture, unless, I hope, it didn't break a nice conversation : ) Difficult decision indeed! The second picture she looks like a celebrity who didn't mind a casual shot by a sympathic & excited press photographer Btw, she can make a good model for you I suppose! I should also say her dress with drapery has inspired me for the kind of posing below! ( Lol! I use my camera as a scanner sometimes to shoot from art history books for presentations ) Ah, I'm also looking for a decent and voluntary!! model on these days : )
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
conor

Quote:
The second picture she looks like a celebrity who didn't mind a casual shot by a sympathic & excited press photographer
My thoughts exactly! If it hadn't been for the focus problems, it would have looked like it was pulled out of a celebrity page in a magazine right off the streets of Los Angeles or New York! The shallow DOF hid the front of her house in a quiet residential area nicely!

Quote:
Btw, she can make a good model for you I suppose! I should also say her dress with drapery has inspired me for the kind of posing below!
It's interesting how the shot came out, its actually a fairly thin, flowing shirt with a tight bottom, the same shirt as the other shot.

Quote:
Ah, I'm also looking for a decent and voluntary!! model on these days : )
Tough to find, I've got the same problem. Over the last few months, I've been pestering a large number of my friends that I think would be suited for some portraits and candids hoping that eventually some will give in. So far, only one, and it took a few drinks
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:03 AM   #6

Well, I can feel that, judging from your consistent good effort and words, another Matt, my artist friend @ Steve's, (a.k.a. longside1 ) is being born : ) Oh, I remember him having a D50 also some years ago in the search of further possibilities with a fresh joy...How wonderful social media is
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:26 AM   #7
conor

Here's a few more from tonight - learned a few lessons from the last set. Somewhere between candids and posed... not quite sure what to call them...

They're both approximately f4, 1/200 with flash between 1/2 and 1/4 with the same reflector. Sigma 28-70 f2.8 at 50-60mm.

Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:29 AM   #8
conor

Quote:
Well, I can feel that, judging from your consistent good effort and words, another Matt, my artist friend @ Steve's, (a.k.a. longside1 ) is being born : ) Oh, I remember him having a D50 also some years ago in the search of further possibilities with a fresh joy...How wonderful social media is
I love my D50! I read posts here and elsewhere and everyone seems keen on upgrading further and further... I think it's doubtful that I'll ever hit a point where I NEED a fancier camera. The one thing I wish I had was the ability to shoot at a lower ISO than 200 (50 would be amazing). Id love to be able to do longer exposures during the day.... gaining the 5-7 required stops is tough
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
I love my D50! I read posts here and elsewhere and everyone seems keen on upgrading further and further... I think it's doubtful that I'll ever hit a point where I NEED a fancier camera. The one thing I wish I had was the ability to shoot at a lower ISO than 200 (50 would be amazing). Id love to be able to do longer exposures during the day.... gaining the 5-7 required stops is tough
I hope there's no confusion here, since what I meant with his search for 'further possibilities with a fresh joy' was more related with techniques and compositional issues. The D50 was merely a material resemblance I pointed out (btw, have you checked ot his blog http://imagespike.wordpress.com/ )...On the other hand I heartily agee with your remarks! The same also applies to me. I did not bother with such an 'upgrade' when the 'next' model hit the shelves... and still more interested in accessorie, lenses, and a decent 'volunteer model', of course!! , than the camera body itself while the 'next' 'next' model is coming this July ; )
Regarding your new entries, I think it's best to shoot her from her eye level, even slightly lower. Thus, compositionwise, your earlier photo of her appeals to me more, and also, to some extent, regarding the exposure, especially when compared to the first of your new series.

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
conor

My apologies, re-reading my post and I realize it sounded different from how it was meant.

I was agreeing with your point that there's no need to upgrade when you haven't yet outgrown what you have. and I don't know as though I'll every completely outgrow this camera.

Once again, Id like to thank you for the advice - thinking about it, you're completely right - shooting from eye level would definitely improve these shots. I'll be sure to keep it in mind in the future