Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Evening light falls on the beautiful, they say...

You may remember Ferah, my sister-in-law, from my previous post 'In the balcony' , and that I promised to try the 'distant gaze' further! Now, on her next visit, encouraged by your great feedbacks (rather than giving up portraits!) I asked her to pose for a few more frames just as the sun was setting (you can see it in her eyes!). Both shots are handheld, #1 with available light only (@ 1/25'') and #2 with the on board flash. Would be glad to read your comments : )

#1 (available light)

#2 (on board flash)

Pictre Z (!) again with on board flash (Find picture # 3, without flash, below in the replies : )

Btw, below is the available light from my balcony

or...

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2

Excellent shots as always bahadir! You have a stunning view either way you look.
NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDadsW41 View Post
Excellent shots as always bahadir! You have a stunning view either way you look.
Thank you so much for the incentive! Ah, may we all find the required piece of mind somewhere, to look around : )
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Very nicely done. I like the light balance of the flash one better but a bit of toning down would work better. How about next time using a reflector as this will give the best of both worlds.

With the 2nd shot her head is rotated a little too far away, having the nose breaking past the cheek is not usually flattering.

As for a place to take photos, I think your balcony is a great contender for being near the top!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Very nicely done. I like the light balance of the flash one better but a bit of toning down would work better. How about next time using a reflector as this will give the best of both worlds.

With the 2nd shot her head is rotated a little too far away, having the nose breaking past the cheek is not usually flattering.

As for a place to take photos, I think your balcony is a great contender for being near the top!!
Happy to have received your expertise Mark coming from your extensive experience : ) Actually I had made two reflectors from kitchen foil as Matt advised, but didn't have time to get them as I didn't want to miss the sun set in her eyes. Next time I'll be more organised! But the on board flash is not always very reliable! As for the nose breaking past the cheek, I only noticed it as I was editing the image, wasn't sure if it was a imperfection...Ok, I also noted this as another issue to consider. Btw, I'll submit #3, which I didn't think of posting. I think it qualifies the nose-cheek rule better than #2, doesn't it?
Glad you liked my open studio for shooting and for everthing else

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

#3 is definitely my favorite pose so if you could have mixed that with the lighting from number two it would have been really lovely.

As for a reflector the silver might be a little colder than a nice gold reflector as that will really help pick up the sunset even more, not sure if you can find a way to make one. I have a 5 way collapsible circular one and a 2 way triangle one that is more portable. I never get to use reflectors any more as I shoot all my events solo. When I was working with the pro one of my main tasks was reflecting and I really liked the results that could be had so I'm a definite advocate for them even if the convenience is not there.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
#3 is definitely my favorite pose so if you could have mixed that with the lighting from number two it would have been really lovely.

As for a reflector the silver might be a little colder than a nice gold reflector as that will really help pick up the sunset even more, not sure if you can find a way to make one. I have a 5 way collapsible circular one and a 2 way triangle one that is more portable. I never get to use reflectors any more as I shoot all my events solo. When I was working with the pro one of my main tasks was reflecting and I really liked the results that could be had so I'm a definite advocate for them even if the convenience is not there.
Thank you for the further feedback! A collapsable one would be great, or I'll have to suffice with WB during the raw conversation if I can't find one. Well, I am surprised a bit to hear #3 was your favourite one, as I did not consider to post it at first. Oh, but that's actually what I love about the web media: my fave is #1, yours is #3, and she's chosen #2 her avatar for her Facebook It would be difficult to attain sth like #2 since it was shot with the flash but #3 with available light only. Still, here's #4 with slight edit in order to avoid an overprocessed look. You know, sometimes human eye is so formidable : )

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:29 PM   #8
Super Moderator

How about a bit of warming up, I'm not sure if this is a little too much or not but has a nice glow.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:49 AM   #9

That's nice, Mark : ) Now #4 became obsolete since I had thought you preferred the cooler tone taken with the flash and thus I cooled down her face from the original though I preferred the warm tone imbued by the setting sun...but I see you also warmed up the background, which I liked even better! Thank you for your kind interest and not only indicating your order of preference but also backing it with action : )
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:17 AM   #10

A very lovely model for the shoot
and all very nice shots and edits,
I thought I might try an edit as well

Color pilot for the white balance then
softened with more noise reduction
and then the channel mixer
set to fuji velvia for this version.
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote