Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:35 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Abi - Studio and Outdoor

Hi all,

Had another chance to stretch the legs of my 5D mkII this evening shooting a friends daughter who is releasing her first CD soon (at 13 years old). They were not sure what they wanted and personally I have some ideas but want to get out and use a cliff top site for the shoot, however with the weather being bad and me travelling soon we wanted to get some shots just in case we miss the deadline. We did a few with her father too as he wrote the lyrics and score.

I really need to get more ideas for posing people as I'm much better at reportage than posed work but I gave it a bash anyway.

Please let me know what you think, I know they are not great but the family were happy with them.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

3 more.
Attached Images

Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:31 PM   #3

2, 3, 4, and 6 work for me. In all of those the subject looks at ease. I think in 2 & 4 you're more comfortable as well because those are setting you work in frequently. The combination of pose, lighting and both the color and shape of the subject's blouse in #5 seem to emphasize the tummy area and I don't think the females of our species, any age, particularly care for that emphasis.

For use on an album cover or liner notes I think 4 or 6 would work well although might want to "touch up" her tooth.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I like 4 the most, but I'd be inclined to crop and go mono.

This is for a CD cover? So a square format might be good.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:30 PM   #5

Default suggestions

Hi Mark1616;

If this is for a CD cover, you might consider doing something with her performance tools. For example, if she's a violinist, then incorporate a violin or bow.

If she's a vocalist, maybe sheet music, microphone or something with stage lights.

Maybe choosing something thematic with her best song on the CD.

One of my favorite photos of myself is a photo of me and 3 fellow trumpet players. Each of us was holding our favorite trumpet. Mine is a Bach 180S37 and my buddies are looking at my vintage horn with envy... As well they should! They don't make them like this anymore.

Faithfully Yours.
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:50 AM   #6

Hi Mark

I think photos 2, 4 and 5 have too "much" photo for a of CD cover, but if they are for a slideshow to accompany her music, maybe they're ok.

However I think you want to capture the face / smile of the artist (especially a 13 year old budding talent).

So imho I think peri has nailed it. That's the "sweetest" smile and a great B&W crop / edit.

I think FP's suggestion about something like an instrument (if applicable) or mic / music stand, lights might be an option, but I think the "kis" principle applies here... "keep it simple".

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:15 AM   #7

How about this crop, Mark? Preferably with the shoulder strap cloned out.

She'll be a grown-up lady very soon, but isn't quite there yet. However, this is least apparent in her face, and when her mouth is closed. So unless the object is to emphasise her youth and 'sweetness', I suggest you concentrate on her face. Please don't tell her I said that. Good luck to her and her music.

My children outstripped my musical talents when they were about that age, but I console myself that I can still concentrate and count and sight-read better than they can (aged 25 and 17).
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:03 PM   #8
Super Moderator

That's also a very nice crop Alan.

And there's probably sufficient resolution that the crop will still give plenty to work with.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:28 AM   #9

That's such a pleasurable assignment Mark with the cheerful subject : ) I must say , I, too find Alan's crop quite good, emphasizing the sympathic thoughtful expression on her face and the distant look...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks all, I just noticed that I hadn't been getting reply reports so sorry for the late answer.

When I sent these to them I send the original 3:2 aspect shots as well as suggested 1:1 options so that they could see how the cover might look. I was away in the US when they made the decision so not sure what they have gone for however when I find out I will let you know.

It was good fun but I still have so much to learn with portrait work as I know they could have been a lot better. Oh well more practise and reading etc.