Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:43 PM   #1

Default help with portrait please

Hello everyone,

I am very new to d-SLR photography and hope to learn a lot from this place . Here is one of my first shots taken with sony a200. What improvements do you guys think can be made for this shot of my mom and dad. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks.

settings were - sony 18-70mm lense, 45 mm, F5.6, 1/160, cloudy day!!
Attached Images

shah.apar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:49 AM   #2

Nice capture. A recommendation for next time is to use a lower exposure and use fill flash. The reason being that will keep the sky behind them from being blown out.

With the shot here, I would suggest some burning of both shirts and your mom's arm (see if your photo editing software has a burn tool) - it's an easy way to 'paint' darkening over a part of the image. I also cropped a little tighter to remove the arm in the upper left.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:58 PM   #3

Thanks JohnG for a very useful piece of advice and also for posting an edited better version. My parents were really glad to see the edited version. Your help is greatly appreciated
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:36 AM   #4

I would agree that you want fill light, but a flash might not be the best choice. Notice the reflection from your father's glasses. Glasses are hard to work with, and a flash only adds to the difficulty. I would suggest a reflector would be a better fill source, because you can pay attention to reflections off the glasses and eliminate them before you shoot. When using a reflector, it is preferable to work with an assistant if possible. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5

Two points:

1. The background. Chose the backgrounds carefully so they do not interfere with your subjects.
2. The hands. Or you show the hands or you hide them. Hands are very telling of human nature. Your dadīs right hand is there in the middle.

Cheers.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:40 AM   #6

My first thought was the trees in the background. Rather than have the railing stand out so much, perhaps position your parents in front of the trees next time. Having the trees as a background may not be so distracting especially if they are a bit out of focus.

Their smiles are great - the photo really captures a peaceful and happy moment.

-
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:13 AM   #7

hey guys! thanks for your suggestions. I am learning a lot