Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Street Scenes II - Feedback welcome!

Eddie...

This statue is located at Seventh Ave, and West 38th Street in Manhattan. A Tribute to the long gone garment district. Everyone and their mother in law wanted to pose with the old taylor...

A night scene of McSorly's old Ale House. Handheld one second exposure.

Everyone is now pluged into their cell phones...

As I was taking this shot, the guy across the street, seeing me, spontaniously posed. I know none of the people in this shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:12 AM   #2

i like number 3 the best, although the path and cars are overexposed, its the 3 people in the shot, all totally oblivious to whats going on around them which makes the picture.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i like number 3 the best, although the path and cars are overexposed, its the 3 people in the shot, all totally oblivious to whats going on around them which makes the picture.
Much thanks for the comments.

I've never done "street" photography, and see myself trying to catch "slices of life." Naturally, since I take the images, I understand what I'm trying to say. Whether other people "get it" is the kind of feedback that will modify what I'm doing. In image 4 (the one you are referring to) it's a very close crop - perhaps ten percent of the original.

Dave
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:31 PM   #4

Im not sure what I think of street photography. I know its a public place but if whatever it is you are shooting, if the people are in the way, then thats fair game because you cant expect to ask them to move so you can take your picture. However, pointing the camera at the people and making them the subject of your photo with the scenery as a prop, Im not sure i agree with it. One can hardly go anywhere these days without being observed by some eye in the sky, especially in larger cities. Taking pics like these is ok with me as long as everyone in the picture knows or can expect to be in yours or someone elses photos. But personally I dont want to be photograhed just walking along minding my own business being the focus of someones creative talent because of the way I was dressed or looked in some fashion or other. If I ever saw my picture posted anywhere without my permission or knowledge that would not be the end of the matter. Do all the people who can be identified in your shots know they are now posted on the internet for the world to see?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Im not sure what I think of street photography. I know its a public place but if whatever it is you are shooting, if the people are in the way, then thats fair game because you cant expect to ask them to move so you can take your picture. However, pointing the camera at the people and making them the subject of your photo with the scenery as a prop, Im not sure i agree with it. One can hardly go anywhere these days without being observed by some eye in the sky, especially in larger cities. Taking pics like these is ok with me as long as everyone in the picture knows or can expect to be in yours or someone elses photos. But personally I dont want to be photograhed just walking along minding my own business being the focus of someones creative talent because of the way I was dressed or looked in some fashion or other. If I ever saw my picture posted anywhere without my permission or knowledge that would not be the end of the matter. Do all the people who can be identified in your shots know they are now posted on the internet for the world to see?
If you choose to appear in public, you have voluntarily surrendered most your rights to privacy. The exceptions being a photograph which places you in a bad or false light. Nor can someone who photographs you, use your likeness for a commercial purpose.

This is true for the United States. What the laws are in other places, I have no idea.

Now as for the photographs I've posted here, none of them ARE intended for publication - But I could in fact make a book, called, let us say, "The Streets of New York," and there wouldn't be a thing that anyone there could do to stop me, or to sue me over. These are universally, "harmless images" in which there is no attempt to distort the people or what they are doing.

Grounds for legal action, require a demonstration of "harm" to the person involved. So, if I photograph you embracing a female friend, and the image can be interpreted as illicit, you could sue me for "harm" to your reputation. It's a bit more complicated then the above, but this is a summary. That is point one.

Point two, is quite simple. You object to people looklng at your image, but you have no objection to people, often MANY people looking at you in public. You pick your nose, you fall, you argue, you discuss. You greet your friends, or curse your enemies - All the time being observed.

Now as a matter of course, on "SOME" of these images, as a matter of curtesy, I asked permission to take the shot. Usually this is impossible.

In other words, I disagree with you.

Dave