Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:25 AM   #11

What a great work Bynx! Much better now.
A very nice pick and girl. The golden age.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:56 PM   #12

This is a cut at throttling back the highlights. I used the Burn Tool to darken highlights (eg, the vertical beams & some of the dress) & brushes to mute the highlights associated with hair, face & arm.

You can do a lot better if you have patience, but my cut is pretty much just to illustrate the point/technique.
Attached Images

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:34 PM   #13

Oooops, didnt notice Bynx's post.

Yes, his cut is much closer to something that lends itself to touch up.

The Burn Tool is probably the perfect tool for cutting the highlights in the beams. It also works reasonably well to mute the highlights of the skirt/dress (eg, shoulder & bottom left). The arm, face & hair require brushes.

I overlaid my attempt on Bynx's cut.

Again, I consider myself a novice. I have used the tools in PS to repair many photos (often group shots which participants wanted to be well done). No doubt I dont use or employ the most optimum techniques as I have only limited skill. I think the issue with this photo is that the highlights are in a variety of places a couple which are straight forward to work with, but some of the others are clearly tricky (but maybe not for a pro).
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:17 PM   #14

sdromel has clearly shown exactly what I said already. Dont use the burn tool. It might be useful for a B&W image but for color, forget it. You can see in his first attempt what has happened. The highlighted wood has turned grey. There is no restored image. In his second attempt he has basically dirtied the touched up area with the burn tool. It doesnt work at all like a burn tool in the darkroom. It doesnt saturate the colors, it just paints grey and makes the image dull. Now if sdromel can show me a single example of a highlight touched up with the burn tool that improved the image instead of degrade it, I would be only too happy to change my view. But after using Photoshop for the last 19 years Im not seeing it likely.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
sdromel has clearly shown exactly what I said already. Dont use the burn tool. It might be useful for a B&W image but for color, forget it. You can see in his first attempt what has happened. The highlighted wood has turned grey. There is no restored image. In his second attempt he has basically dirtied the touched up area with the burn tool. It doesnt work at all like a burn tool in the darkroom. It doesnt saturate the colors, it just paints grey and makes the image dull. Now if sdromel can show me a single example of a highlight touched up with the burn tool that improved the image instead of degrade it, I would be only too happy to change my view. But after using Photoshop for the last 19 years Im not seeing it likely.
LOL! You did a great job. I tried the same, but got poor color on the girls face, and gave up.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:20 PM   #16

I think the idea behind using the Burn tool is that the blown out white is an area of no information. (As such, there is nothing to saturate.) Looking closely at shadow areas cast on pure white typically show as a slight gray. The intent is at least to limit the contrast.

The rest was attempted with brushes.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:23 AM   #17

Looking at the highlighed area of the boards, while they look white, they arent. The texture that was brought out in the after version was there in the first place and made visible mainly with Exposure sliders. I dont know how much experience youve had with Photoshop but I really dont understand your insistence on pushing the wrong tool. The burn tool is useless. But I look forward to you showing an example of a highlight correction that improves the image.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:14 PM   #18

My best shot
Attached Images