Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 25, 2009, 3:50 PM   #21

In my unarticulated rage I will simply say, take your pictures but if you cant get my permission to post or print them then dont. Do whatever you want, just do it without me. And everyone should have the opportunity to have the same choice. If you cant live with that then dont take the picture.

The way I look at it, in my unarticulated way is, I dont see how its right if someone sticks a camera in my face, takes the picture then tells me they will be posting it on the internet within the hour. And I dont see any difference between that and taking the picture from behind bushes or through a car window except in the first case the person at least has the balls to tell me what he intends to do. I would say a good guideline to follow is, if you are afraid to ask then be equally afraid to publish.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
In my unarticulated rage I will simply say, take your pictures but if you cant get my permission to post or print them then dont. Do whatever you want, just do it without me. And everyone should have the opportunity to have the same choice. If you cant live with that then dont take the picture.

The way I look at it, in my unarticulated way is, I dont see how its right if someone sticks a camera in my face, takes the picture then tells me they will be posting it on the internet within the hour. And I dont see any difference between that and taking the picture from behind bushes or through a car window except in the first case the person at least has the balls to tell me what he intends to do. I would say a good guideline to follow is, if you are afraid to ask then be equally afraid to publish.
I will try again:

Since you believe your morality trumps the Constitution, trumps my rights, I ask in all sincerety for you to post such a law.

Shouldn't take you long, nor do I demand that it be perfect. I want you to put down in plain electrons, just how you would deal with this question.

No offense, we have laws which prevent people from "sticking a camera in your face," and we have laws which prevent people from beating some photographer to a pulp. You seem to feel that the only law that is needed is your personal views on what is, and what is not moral.

Since this position simply means that you are ready to violate the law in the name of your morality - Then demonstrate the way you would word such a law, so that your views become the law. I believe, you've been asked to do this by others besides myself.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:13 AM   #23

I personally think it would be sad if society became so uptight about street photographers. There are a number of photographers in Australia who have shot beach scenes through the years and these shots are now iconic photos of periods gone by. Many shots have been published online over the years. This is another form of candid photo and probably much more revealing than any street photo could be. The chances of someone seeing and ex wife or whatever online are slim. I could take a photo of someone I know and tell them I will be putting it somewhere online, they would have to go through millions of photos to find it on flicker alone let alone all the other photo sharing sites and I don't always tag them. Today is a world in which we are photographed all the time, as long as one is not peering through a fence into private property I see no issue with photography in the street. If you had to ask everyone you photographed for permission to do so the photos would no longer be candid.

I would hate to have missed the work of this guy

http://www.rennieellis.com.au/galler...e=1&display=10
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:04 AM   #24

I looked at his pics Julie and if no one in all the pics gave permission at all then I can see a problem with only 3 of them. For the most part they are general group shots on a public beach. A few are unidentifiable single individuals.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:23 AM   #25

Without street photographers, we would never have had this:
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:35 AM   #26

Not one person is identifiable in that pic. Besides its some event going on and not on a quiet neighborhood and where people can probably expect pictures to be taken. The guy kissing the nurse is more a representation of the event.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:50 PM   #27

Bynx---enough already. Get over it! jeez
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:00 PM   #28

St. Bernie, please feel free to jump in and make any comments you like -- except shut up. You can always go elsewhere if you dont like whats said here.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
St. Bernie, please feel free to jump in and make any comments you like -- except shut up. You can always go elsewhere if you dont like whats said here.
Personally, I think you have no business commenting on these threads of Street Photography. You shut down your own thread because YOU couldn't keep a civil tongue in your head. Your arguments consist either of insults or physical threats.

Since you have no interest in this thread, you might as well pack it in.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:59 PM   #30

Id just like to remind everyone that if one took a photo of anything, randomly posted it online, to find it would either be luck or an extensive hunt. so the chances of anything bad coming out of a street shot is unlikely. whatever side you sit on in this debate, surely you can see just how many great images would have never been seen without the candid street photographer, before and after the internet. That would have been a loss I think
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote