Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:05 AM   #1

Default The Pool Shark

This unassuming man, who prefers to go by the alias of "Paw Paw", will beat you out of your money at pool faster than you realize.

This picture was taken candidly at a bar called "The Borderline". It is called as such because of it's location that is literally on the Arkansas/Louisiana border.

The out-of-focus gentleman to the right side is my friend Trevor. "Paw Paw" was of course delighted that I would consider using one of his pictures...as long as he gets a copy!

I liked it because of the look on his face. A pool shark will keep his eye on the game even when doing something else.

It's a bit grainy because of the gain being a bit high, but I didn't have a decent flash with me and I think the one on the camera would have likely ruined the image.

Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:42 AM   #2

I like the framing of the shot. But it's several stops underexposed. A slight underexposure wouldn't be too bad but this is a bit too much for my tastes. That's where equipment can matter - using an f2.8 lens at ISO 1600 could have gotten a much better shot. Noise could be handled with software. Or even a conversion to black-and-white and leaving the noise might even work better. But I think at least a stop, if not 2 brighter.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:04 AM   #3

I guess you could say lack of funds and lack of know-how limited the photo. It's one took not long after I got the camera, mainly just playing around.

I could have used a higher ISO, it may just be my camera (Olympus E-450), but anything above ISO 400 looks grainy, and this was shot at ISO 800 as it is.

The two Zuiko lenses I have are fairly mediocre honestly. If it's even possible find a lens on a 4/3 mount that has an aperture ring so that the lens doesn't constantly auto-adjust it. Might that have helped?

Forgive me, I'm still learning
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerolin View Post
I guess you could say lack of funds and lack of know-how limited the photo. It's one took not long after I got the camera, mainly just playing around.

I could have used a higher ISO, it may just be my camera (Olympus E-450), but anything above ISO 400 looks grainy, and this was shot at ISO 800 as it is.

The two Zuiko lenses I have are fairly mediocre honestly. If it's even possible find a lens on a 4/3 mount that has an aperture ring so that the lens doesn't constantly auto-adjust it. Might that have helped?

Forgive me, I'm still learning
I like this shot, and better Post Processing can help...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5

Technical issues appart, an oportune shot!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:04 PM   #6

personally i dont think it needs brightining much more than the original , my reason this guy is in a bar blowing a cig off playing pool you dont need it too light in my opinion this isnt a proffesional game its simply a game for cash in a local bar i think it adds to the image

simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:41 PM   #7

Great picture...could stand some lightening up as John says, but as you say you have some equipment limitations.

Great character study...almost like a photo still out of a movie...with the tech stuff addressed.

I don't know if Olympus has a fast, reasonably priced 50 mm F 1.4 Zuiko lens.

I have a Pentax 50 mm F 1.4 that I would use in a photo like this. On my Pentax DSLR's it converts to a 70-75 mm...fast (1.4) portrait lens. I would of shot this pix at F 2.0 to F 2.4 with 800- 1600 ISO...experimented a bit.

But, in the end I really like this picture...really evokes the mood of a pool room and a guy with long experience behind a pool cue.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Here's another from just seconds later. I upped the exposure some and did some very minor light rendering. I tried to get rid of some of the noise as well. Technical stuff any better this time?

Since this isn't the only place that it's been said that it looks like a still from a movie, we can call this the sequel. Haha

Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
personally i dont think it needs brightining much more than the original , my reason this guy is in a bar blowing a cig off playing pool you dont need it too light in my opinion this isnt a proffesional game its simply a game for cash in a local bar i think it adds to the image

I like Simple's treatment of this picture...gives it almost a Norman Rockwell appearance.

I still like this photo...much better than the second pose. In this pix, the man is intent about his work, while still lighting up a cigarette. This shot really connects.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:55 AM   #10

Here's a thought for you
Attached Images

bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote