Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Halloween Street Scenes II - C&C welcome

Second set of Halloween images I took. No flash was used for any of them, and I used the camera in full manual mode, which seems to work better for night photography...

Shooting these various people at night, at a speed in which it's diffifult to stop the action (1/8 to 1/4) lends them all a sureal feel

A Geisha and a Werewolf - What could be more natural?

Odd to pan people who are just walking bye...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:58 PM   #2

im sorry but im not keen, i see what your doing but its not to my liking, to much blur
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
im sorry but im not keen, i see what your doing but its not to my liking, to much blur
And I appreciate why people feel exactly as you do. On the other hand, what is capturing a moment? Is it technical clarity of the image, or the mood of the scene? When I shoot wildlife, clarity is a must for obvious reasons. While I might want to capture the mood of a Willet, the primary purpose is to show the viewer a Willet. But Street shooting at night? Indoors at a club? Is clarity the most important thing, or is the mood and the feel the most important thing?

I actually did take a few shots with a flash, and froze the scene. Very limited application, and ONLY to those persons I asked permission to use a flash (I never ask permission to take a shot). To my mind, it lacks the impact, and the blur is actually more of a true copy of the scene...

Dave
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:26 PM   #4

The blur is ok but sometimes IMO if there is too much blur it obscures too much... a bit is nice to connote action and movement.

I wonder how much you could raise the ISO and maybe something like a 50 mm F 1.4 ..which is more like a 70-75 mm lens on a digital APS-C SLR would help to avoid too much blur.

Some of the pix, especially considering they are taken in NYC at night remind me a bit of a more modern WeeGee.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
The blur is ok but sometimes IMO if there is too much blur it obscures too much... a bit is nice to connote action and movement.

I wonder how much you could raise the ISO and maybe something like a 50 mm F 1.4 ..which is more like a 70-75 mm lens on a digital APS-C SLR would help to avoid too much blur.

Some of the pix, especially considering they are taken in NYC at night remind me a bit of a more modern WeeGee.
Well, ISO 1600 is about as far as I'm going to push my Sigma DP2, and 2.8 is the widest aperture. On the other hand, a bayer sensor, even if I gained a stop, would lose more than I gain. Compared to my first night scenes, these are a great improvement; hopefully an improvment that will continue.

On the other hand, I actually like the way these things come out.

But I appreciate that for good and legitimate reasons, many will not like this technique. But then again, I'm a big fan of Nan Goldin, and simply tread in the path she is blazing. I have a long way to go, but some of these shots compare to hers.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:43 AM   #6

Way to much Blur in them Chato he lighting don't even excite me any... DId you use a tripod?
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Hey, as long as youre enjoying yourself and your work and you steadily progress, Kudos to you.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote