Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:13 AM   #11

There have been notorious people in Toronto who walk around dressed shabbily pandering for money. One woman was seen getting into a limo at the end of the day. Turns out she was quite wealthy. So just goes to show you everyone has a story. Some are quite interesting. Not everyone starts out as a bum. I used to see a guy every day when I worked in Toronto. Shabbily dressed, unshaven and unwashed. I got talking with him and after getting to know him a bit I got him a job where I worked. It wasnt much but he got cleaned up a bit. During the next Christmas party he sat down at a piano and surprised everyone with his incredible piano skills. Go figure.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:18 PM   #12

Well, As a person who spends ''allot'' of time with the homeless, I can tell you that the gentleman you shot, is homeless...Did you you get his name? Did you offer him a meal? Did you speak with him? No..The photograph while interesting is not very good. I can't see his face, and it looks like it was shot at a distance. The composition would have been much better had you got in front of him and got to know him...Go back and speak with him. You will be surprised what a kind word and conversation will do for him.
Take a look at my October page in my blog...Please don't take this as criticism, but rather as a way to improve your craft.
Blessings, javier

http://jgredline.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:46 PM   #13

Thanks, jgredline!

I'm not practiced in the craft of approaching people on the street to chat for the sake of chatting. To acquire the skill I might start off with someone more my peer first then work with different types and somewhere along the way maybe with a homeless man. Or are you saying a homeless man is the easiest to chat with on the street?
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, jgredline!

I'm not practiced in the craft of approaching people on the street to chat for the sake of chatting. To acquire the skill I might start off with someone more my peer first then work with different types and somewhere along the way maybe with a homeless man. Or are you saying a homeless man is the easiest to chat with on the street?
Actually, many homeless are very hard to speak with because they are on their guard always. The way I do it is like this...I always look them in the eyes and offer up my name first.

''Hi, My name is Javier, what is yours?'' From their you will know who you are dealing with. By asking them for their name, it gives them respect and a sense of belonging....Read some of the short stories here.

As for me, since I do allot of street shooting, I also pass out 12 meals on my trips. I have had lunch with people that have some amazing stories.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:46 PM   #15

The church that I saw him at is really out of my way. But I love stories and one of these days when I feel more courageous than normal I will seek him out and say, "Hi, my name's Billy..."

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM. Reason: Oops I typed "out" instead of "at"...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Actually, many homeless are very hard to speak with because they are on their guard always. The way I do it is like this...I always look them in the eyes and offer up my name first.

''Hi, My name is Javier, what is yours?'' From their you will know who you are dealing with. By asking them for their name, it gives them respect and a sense of belonging....Read some of the short stories here.

As for me, since I do allot of street shooting, I also pass out 12 meals on my trips. I have had lunch with people that have some amazing stories.

Sure. Giving them a meal will help, of course.
But donít matter what you do, as photographer, you are an appropriator.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Sure. Giving them a meal will help, of course.
But don’t matter what you do, as photographer, you are an appropriator.
You don't have to give them a meal or for that matter the time of day...

My neighborhood is chock full of homeless people, and I pay attention to them. I see them, whereas many people go out of their way NOT to see them. Chato who can be quite belligerent with out and out thugs, is another way I break the ice - He likes most homeless people.

Someone starving is not going to turn down a free meal. Soup kitchen dinners aren't anything to brag about. But jgredine is quite right. If you want to get the subject to relax, you have to deal with them as human beings, with the same motivations that we all have. You betcha, they all have interesting stories to tell.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:26 PM   #18

Dave: you already know I love your Chato. Not big deal cause I love dogs much more than I love human beings.
But a photographer is an appropriator. In fact I'm thinking in initiate a thread about the photography as appropriation.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Dave: you already know I love your Chato. Not big deal cause I love dogs much more than I love human beings.
But a photographer is an appropriator. In fact I'm thinking in initiate a thread about the photography as appropriation.
Chato, is an ice breaker with anyone. While he can be belligerent, it's NOT fear that triggers him. He expects people to fear him, and acts accordingly.

Since his buttons are pushed by threats, most homeless people are not threats, and he can be quite sympathetic.

Appropriator, or whatever, he allows me to take some cute shots...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:46 PM   #20

I fear no dogs.
That's the reason they love me and respect me.