Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default Street Scenes XII - C&C welcome

This is my latest batch, and with one exception, day shots...

Pomme Frites, or "Fried Potatoes," sell over priced french fries, but you get a "topping."

This place for some reason, is incredibly popular.



A midtown peddler stand, taken from my truck



An irate traffic cop, I have no idea what annoyed him, unless it's the job itself.



This young lady found a broken beer bottle, decided to make an "installation piece," and then photograph it. I had a conversation with her and she wasn't pleased with the results.




Early Sunday morning before the store owners come to clean out what's left of Saturday night.



Dave

Last edited by Chato; Nov 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

Like the girl in blue and the three men walking. I cropped some of the dead space (only on computer, I don't edit and post without an ok first) from left side of the girl in blue and some from the right side of the three men. I think it made the subject stand out more, try it and see what you think.

First one doesn't really get my attention much but do like the way the burr worked out in that shot.

Last edited by Calicajun; Nov 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rob_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bowt'n Uk
Posts: 183
Default

Nice set, i like the use of the mirror in number 2, adds to it
__________________
www.robs-photography.com

My flickr
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

My wife went to visit our country of origin two months ago and while there, I took street pictures of NYC and showed her via IM. When she saw a picture of a souvenir stand similar to your #2, she seemed not to know what to say other than it looked different. We take these things for granted while here but once outside the country, they induce a longing for home.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Like the girl in blue and the three men walking. I cropped some of the dead space (only on computer, I don't edit and post without an ok first) from left side of the girl in blue and some from the right side of the three men. I think it made the subject stand out more, try it and see what you think.
I try to center my shots, and then make the crop. With the Sigma, I have plenty of room to crop. While I prefer to frame it in the camera, the Sigma is giving me a new world of potential. So, what you see is downright deliberate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
First one doesn't really get my attention much but do like the way the burr worked out in that shot.
Yeah, the one guy looks a bit grotesque...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
My wife went to visit our country of origin two months ago and while there, I took street pictures of NYC and showed her via IM. When she saw a picture of a souvenir stand similar to your #2, she seemed not to know what to say other than it looked different. We take these things for granted while here but once outside the country, they induce a longing for home.
The pictures were only a few feet from my truck window. In other words, people passing on the sidewalk couldn't see them. This was a busy midtown location, and no driver is going to stop his vehicle to buy - What are they thinking?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jgredline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles...
Posts: 1,175
Default

i like the 5th one. Great capture and context.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
i like the 5th one. Great capture and context.
I don't normally shoot homeless people, but this trio struck my interest.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
The pictures were only a few feet from my truck window. In other words, people passing on the sidewalk couldn't see them. This was a busy midtown location, and no driver is going to stop his vehicle to buy - What are they thinking?

Dave
Maybe the souvenirs are just a front, they're really selling something else hidden under the cart ...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:58 AM.