Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:30 PM   #1

Default Street Scenes XIII - C&C welcome

There's only one daylight picture, and it's actually not a very good shot, but I love what happened after shooting it.

I took a shot of these Cops making a turn, and they immediately pulled me over. Why? They didn't mind me taking pictures, they just wanted to know about the dog...

I never used ISO 3200 on the Sigma, since the day time shots that I tried were very grainy. But I decided to give it a shot at night, and it works pretty well. So I've gained an f stop...

Two people who Chato considers, "part of his flock," so he let them up the stoop, something he will never allow a stranger to do.

McSorley's Ale House has an ever changing crowd in front.

Another shot of Pomme Frites, place is busy every damn night.

The Flower Lady at one in the Morning...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:53 PM   #2

Funny I had a similar encounter with a cop this morning.

I went up the rooftop parking lot and near the edge started taking pictures of the building across the street. A lady cop approached and asked what I was doing.

I said I was practicing photography. My hands aren't steady (or so I believe) and so wanted to take pictures of straight lines compensating my unsteadiness with a low-ISO and high shutter speed. (It was the truth, honest! I looked at the EXIF data of one of Walter S' landscape shots and saw a speed of 400 and so wanted to try the same.) I said, I wouldn't take long.

She was very nice about it and said, no, I didn't have to hurry, I could take as long as I want, she was just asking.

I guess she just was doing her job making sure I am what I appear to be and no more than that -- a guy with a camera.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM. Reason: I meant low not high ISO.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Funny I had a similar encounter with a cop this morning.

I went up the rooftop parking lot and near the edge started taking pictures of the building across the street. A lady cop approached and asked what I was doing.

I said I was practicing photography. My hands aren't steady (or so I believe) and so wanted to take pictures of straight lines compensating my unsteadiness with a low-ISO and high shutter speed. (It was the truth, honest! I looked at the EXIF data of one of Walter S' landscape shots and saw a speed of 400 and so wanted to try the same.) I said, I wouldn't take long.

She was very nice about it and said, no, I didn't have to hurry, I could take as long as I want, she was just asking.

I guess she just was doing her job making sure I am what I appear to be and no more than that -- a guy with a camera.
Well these guys who stopped me, weren't do their jobs, but taking a two minute break is no problem with me. I wasn't hiding the fact that I was shooting from my truck (I was stopped at a light) and they couldn't care less about the camera.

When a dog sits in a car, the human imagination "add's legs." It's an unconsious thing that we do, and it magnifies the size of a dog. Since my dog is already huge, I wasn't surprised at their curiosity...

Dave
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post

I really like the gritty look of this image. Infact, I think it is quite good.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:49 PM   #5

McSorleys, was up until the end of the sixties, a Mens only Bar. 155 years of existance. Once they opened it up to both sexes, it became a "pick up joint."

Every night when I walk past, there's a different scene to be photographed. Not to many locals actually drink there. Young people who find two beers to be intoxicating before they go back to Westchester or Queens of whatever. And there are a number of foreign tourists, who simply heard of the place and want to see it.

Dave