Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:56 PM   #11

Interesting shots. I agree with Simon that these are more what I think as street photography. The area is tourist so I would think anything goes. Im curious about the ones where it seems like you are threatened by the punks -- one with fists raised and the other flipping you the birds. Were they joking or were they threatening? There is another shot that gives me a chuckle. Its the one of the couple walking where you have shot them from low down on an angle. The guy is looking in the camera while the woman is in her own little world. Looks like a clandestine photo. Pretty funny stuff.

Last edited by Bynx; Nov 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:44 PM   #12

This one is my favorite. Classic street photography, for my taste, about as basic as you can get. Captured nicely!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Interesting shots. I agree with Simon that these are more what I think as street photography.
Same here, though what is street photography is really up for debate. I know I have about three different styles, but all are personal. By that I mean, I am always working with in a 20 foot circle, usually 10-15 feet.

Quote:
The area is tourist so I would think anything goes.
Not really. I have shot in many places from crowded to not at all, from good areas, to bad and it ends up being the same thing. You still need courage, confidence and a fast eye.

Quote:
Im curious about the ones where it seems like you are threatened by the punks -- one with fists raised and the other flipping you the birds. Were they joking or were they threatening?
While 90% of the people I capture are usually cool, I have been cussed out my fair share and threatend a few times and it is what it is....All is good. I am familiar with the LAWS of street photography and stay with in them, most of the time.

Quote:
There is another shot that gives me a chuckle. Its the one of the couple walking where you have shot them from low down on an angle. The guy is looking in the camera while the woman is in her own little world. Looks like a clandestine photo. Pretty funny stuff.
Yes, shooting from the hip. I do not do this often but it gives me a different looking capture so I do change up some times.

90% of my street shooting is in portrait mode and I crop a hair off the sides and some off the top and bottom..I have read where it is wrong to crop, but since street shooting is done at between 0 and 2 seconds, I often don't have time to compose and shoot or I will miss the moment..Street shooting is all about not thinking and thinking quick.. if that makes any sense at all...I am also very obvious when i shoot. I don't sneak around...I don't hide my camera, I don't stand in the same spot for more than a few seconds like many I have seen do..I also spend some time time talking to many of my subjects even if it is a simple hi, smile, how are you this day?, etc..Small talk, but it works...Thank you for the kind words.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post

This one is my favorite. Classic street photography, for my taste, about as basic as you can get. Captured nicely!

Robert
Thank you. That is one of my favs ever...I just caught the image forming from the corner of my eye and ran to catch it.. I originally was simply trying to shoot the image on the door but when I saw the Lady walking by, It was perfect quick thinking, lucky timing. Those don't come often. Thanks again!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:42 PM   #15

Ya thats a great coincidental catch. Any idea who the guy is on the door? This reminds me of a street shot I saw once. It was a legless guy who had mobility by scooting around on an 18 inch square board with wheels. He had heavy duty gloves to do the propelling. Anyway he had a spot on Yonge Street in Toronto where he sold pencils. The photo shows him eyeing a guy walking just after he passed by. The guy was Rudolph Nureyev the famous Russian ballet dancer. It was quite poignant seeing the legless man watching the king of dancers. A truly one in a million shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Ya thats a great coincidental catch. Any idea who the guy is on the door? This reminds me of a street shot I saw once. It was a legless guy who had mobility by scooting around on an 18 inch square board with wheels. He had heavy duty gloves to do the propelling. Anyway he had a spot on Yonge Street in Toronto where he sold pencils. The photo shows him eyeing a guy walking just after he passed by. The guy was Rudolph Nureyev the famous Russian ballet dancer. It was quite poignant seeing the legless man watching the king of dancers. A truly one in a million shot.
I have no idea who the guy is. I have taken many images similar to that one. Images where I will wait and wait for anyone to pass by a certain image on a wall, but they always look staged and not very good. It is simply too hard to stage a good street shot. Out of every 100 or so images I shoot, I end up keeping about 5 of them and the rest hit the recycle bin.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:17 AM   #17

awesome post, thanks for sharing!
eurojams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojams View Post
awesome post, thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:57 AM   #19

I enjoyed all these shots, B&W just adds to the image , thanks jgredline!

ajuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuett View Post
I enjoyed all these shots, B&W just adds to the image , thanks jgredline!
Thank you very much. I love black and white.