Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Default Best example of night 'people' photos

Some of the best examples of night time photos of people, IMHO are...the envelope please....

• Check out the opening credits of the old TV series...The Rockford Files..there are a number of still photographs of the star, James Garner at night...also some during the day. They are excellent and really evoke the mood and set atmoshere of this wonderful detective show.
  • Arthur Fellig A.K.A. Weegee...I may not have the spelling right of either his name or nick name. I beleive he took street pictures of people in New Yoork City...mainly in the '30;s to '50;s. He used a large Speed Graphic and flash. The pictures are extremely well illuminated...but it's more of the subject and how he seemed to capture the sense of NYC at that time.
Just two examples of great night time...'people' photography.

What are your examples ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Some of the best examples of night time photos of people, IMHO are...the envelope please....

• Check out the opening credits of the old TV series...The Rockford Files..there are a number of still photographs of the star, James Garner at night...also some during the day. They are excellent and really evoke the mood and set atmoshere of this wonderful detective show.
  • Arthur Fellig A.K.A. Weegee...I may not have the spelling right of either his name or nick name. I beleive he took street pictures of people in New Yoork City...mainly in the '30;s to '50;s. He used a large Speed Graphic and flash. The pictures are extremely well illuminated...but it's more of the subject and how he seemed to capture the sense of NYC at that time.
Just two examples of great night time...'people' photography.

What are your examples ?
These publicity images (and for that matter movies shot at night) are shot with various diffused lighting lamps. Not a flash, but an actual spotlight, with various degree's of shade...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
These publicity images (and for that matter movies shot at night) are shot with various diffused lighting lamps. Not a flash, but an actual spotlight, with various degree's of shade...

Dave
I don't think you may have seen the pix I'm talking about. The '70's Rockford Files TV show, pix at the beginning of each episode look to me like film shots taken using available light, no additional artificial light sources used.

The pictures have a grain to them...so I would say film with ASA (ISO as we say now) pushed to maybe 800 or so.

Years ago (35-40 + ) I used to work in the publishing field and pushing Tri X film would give that kind of picture quality.

Weegee used pure flash...bulbs with his Speed Graphic..harsh artificial lighting but in his hands effective.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote