Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:40 PM   #1

Default My Daughter

I posted this a few days back in the Canon forum. I thought I'd repost here to see what you think.

My daughter in the car taken with my new G11;

1600 ISO with 40w light source;

Last edited by ajuett; Dec 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM. Reason: added a photo
ajuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:24 PM   #2

Not sure what type of feedback you're looking for, So I'll give you everything that comes to mind.

1. Your daughter is an absolute doll.
2. I'd crop the top of the first pic to remove the distracting background.
3.The ISO 1600 shot #2 is outstanding. Did you pp or is that right out of the camera?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
Not sure what type of feedback you're looking for, So I'll give you everything that comes to mind.

1. Your daughter is an absolute doll.
2. I'd crop the top of the first pic to remove the distracting background.
3.The ISO 1600 shot #2 is outstanding. Did you pp or is that right out of the camera?

the Hun
Thanks Rinne, any feedback is fine, I appreciate it all.
1. Thanks again! It's the Mum's looks, not me, lucky for her!
2. I tried the crop and it does look better but, I also like the full image.
3. I shoot RAW only regardless of the situation, PP-wise I did the following in Canon's DPP software:

NR: Luminance 0, Chrominance 20
WB: custom tuned
Contrast: 1
Saturation: 1
Sharpness: 5 (from 3)

Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:34 PM   #4

What a precious little girl.
That G11 seems to be pretty good as well. I have a G9 and a G10 and am leaning to the s90, but little by little I am leaning back to the G11
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
What a precious little girl.
That G11 seems to be pretty good as well. I have a G9 and a G10 and am leaning to the s90, but little by little I am leaning back to the G11
Thanks for the comment jgredline, I haven't been around the PF is a while. I no longer can afford film and don't have a Pentax anymore. Last years setup was so nice, regrets selling my digital Pentax

Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:39 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very cute subject with beautiful eyes!

Some technical feedback:
1.I agree wth Rinniethehun that the background in #1 is a bit distracting and could use some cropping.
2. For portraits, you might want to use a longer focal length. Your daughter's face appears to bulge out towards the camera a bit--most likely due to the use of a short focal length with the subject being close to the camera.
3. I see noise in #2 especially in the area of the pillow and blanket, and her hands under the face--not unexpected for ISO 1600. A quick pass through a NR program ought to clean it up.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Very cute subject with beautiful eyes!

Some technical feedback:
1.I agree wth Rinniethehun that the background in #1 is a bit distracting and could use some cropping.
2. For portraits, you might want to use a longer focal length. Your daughter's face appears to bulge out towards the camera a bit--most likely due to the use of a short focal length with the subject being close to the camera.
3. I see noise in #2 especially in the area of the pillow and blanket, and her hands under the face--not unexpected for ISO 1600. A quick pass through a NR program ought to clean it up.
Thanks for the info however, it was a quick photo in the car at a limited distance. If I started the car, opened the driver side window, shut the car down, opened the door and stepped further back and zoomed in I think I might have missed the shot, lol ;-) NR in DPP can "clean" noise but, I rather like the reverse. No matter the ISO the first thing I do is kill the NR as much as possible which means; NR: Luminance 0, Chrominance 20. I remember when cameras had the option to turn NR off, I wish it was an option again.

Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:04 PM   #8

Lovely though the first one I think with out reading any one else's input that if you were to crop out the back ground of the car and place like an igloo it would bring a great Christmas gift for the family.. and the last one reminds me of the little girl sleeping painting it is great as it is but with a little more softening it would be even better..... Great shots though all together.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote