Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:55 AM   #11

Thanks, maggo85!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
According to weather.com, this morning's temperature is "25 degrees" but "feels like 13". That's 7 degrees below freezing but feels like 19 below freezing. That's brrr-cold.

Following are pictures of people who make a living early out on the streets of New York -- they are the sidewalk vendors many office workers and building tenants can't live (or at least function coherently) without.

As always, C&C welcome. All pics are taken today. Thank you for looking!
Two and three look "real" the others are not what my eye would see.

Nice pictures, although for the life of me I don't know why you needed to use HDR. I believe even the ones I like would have been better simply shot by hand with a relatively high ISO (400 would be plenty)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:34 PM   #13

I looked at the HDR and while it takes away from what a ''street shot'' is according to the purist, I liked it. Not sure it is something I would do (mostly because I do not know how to do an HDR) but certainly he implanted an idea.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
I looked at the HDR and while it takes away from what a ''street shot'' is according to the purist, I liked it. Not sure it is something I would do (mostly because I do not know how to do an HDR) but certainly he implanted an idea.
I've always said that HDR has it's place.

I've been fooling around with the demo version of Photomatrix and it's a fine program. And while I've never really given it a fair test, because I'm simply using RAW files, and not true alternate exposures, I can see where it can be applied to get a better capture of reality.

Without going into the question of "Art," it seems to me that we are trying to capture and reproduce what the eye actually sees - And only two and three capture reality - Yet he's not trying to make Art; he's giving us a slice of life, and in this case HDR detracts from the real feel of a brutal cold day.

Thus my well intentioned critique -

Dave
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I've always said that HDR has it's place.

I've been fooling around with the demo version of Photomatrix and it's a fine program. And while I've never really given it a fair test, because I'm simply using RAW files, and not true alternate exposures, I can see where it can be applied to get a better capture of reality.

Without going into the question of "Art," it seems to me that we are trying to capture and reproduce what the eye actually sees - And only two and three capture reality - Yet he's not trying to make Art; he's giving us a slice of life, and in this case HDR detracts from the real feel of a brutal cold day.

Thus my well intentioned critique -

Dave
Dave. I am happy to read that you are more of a purist. In many ways so am I. Heck, 80% of my street shots are black and white and I like grain, tilted, much of the rules of ''photography'' or ''ART'' are thrown out. Heck, I often will will goober up my street shots..I guess this is why I still shoot allot of film...
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Without going into the question of "Art," it seems to me that we are trying to capture and reproduce what the eye actually sees
Dave
If you want to 'capture and reproduce' what your eyes see, better go HDR.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
If you want to 'capture and reproduce' what your eyes see, better go HDR.
No offense, but two of the images posted for critique are not what my eye would have seen. I could have easily taken a more realistic image with a simple snapshot of the scene.

On the other hand, maybe that's how your eyes see the world, in which case my apology for making fun of your disability.

Dave
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Two and three look "real" the others are not what my eye would see.

Nice pictures, although for the life of me I don't know why you needed to use HDR. I believe even the ones I like would have been better simply shot by hand with a relatively high ISO (400 would be plenty)

Dave
Hi, Dave -- long time no, um, read .

Hmm, it didn't occur to me to merge my thought processes between the subject and my post-processing. I am always bent on bringing out Kodakchrome-like color even if the photograph is about the direr or darker side of life . There's much to learn...

Regarding HDR, my camera has bracketing feature so I always use it. I get three shots in one click. That way, when I post-process, I have the option of going HDR or just picking one.

For some night scenes, I can't do HDR -- my results are horrible. (Maybe I'm just not doing it right...) But for day scenes, I almost always get better results with HDR. I guess because what one exposure didn't see (especially where there's a wide range of dark and light), another might.

Recently, I've had the chance to play with flash photography on people. I don't think I can do HDR when using flash. So I'm discovering ways of bringing out detail and color mainly throught PSE. Here're some examples:

#5.
Edited.

Original.

#6.
Edited.

Original.

#7.
Edited.

Original.

To all, your C&C are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Dave! I will include your C&C in my future "projects".
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Hi, Dave -- long time no, um, read .

Recently, I've had the chance to play with flash photography on people. I don't think I can do HDR when using flash. So I'm discovering ways of bringing out detail and color mainly throught PSE. Here're some examples:

To all, your C&C are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Dave! I will include your C&C in my future "projects".
I've always enjoyed the way you frame images. The ability to "see" and then frame a scene is an innate talent, whereas the technical aspects of photography can be learned by anyone. Love your military truck.

My only problem with your flash examples are that they are a bit over-saturated.

Dave
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:59 AM   #20

Yes, I agree about over-saturation. I was playing around with less saturation but thought over-saturating looked a little better. It may be because I used to do (years ago) charcoal rendering of people. It was black and white, but back then, I emphasized detail a lot and people kept coming back for more that I eventually had to quit. (I didn't want to make money out of it...) I guess really old habits die hard...

Thanks for the compliments!