Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:56 PM   #11

Really some nice pics here. Probably the best street photos I've seen here at Steves. So many of the street photos I see around seem to have no artistic quality to them at all - just pointing the camera at something and firing away. But while street photography isn't my thing there are definitely some compelling images here. Very nicely done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:29 PM   #12

Nice photo's...I really like that last one..blurred woman...one leg in focus..something about it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:24 PM   #13

I like the first one in the last set, the man looking back at the Asian lady. Feels like there could be a story in there.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i think this is a really great street set. there are some really nice photos in there.

i really like the intimacy of shot #2, "the smoker"

the parallel similarities between the dog and woman in #4

and i really enjoy #10 (the angled b&w shot with great contrast) and #12 (backflip in b&w)
Thank you so very much!
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Really some nice pics here. Probably the best street photos I've seen here at Steves. So many of the street photos I see around seem to have no artistic quality to them at all - just pointing the camera at something and firing away. But while street photography isn't my thing there are definitely some compelling images here. Very nicely done!
Thank you very much. What a huge compliment. I have seen quite a few good ones here I must say. It is my hope that over time this thread and others will inspire folks to do more street shooting and as you noticed; Tell a story with an image. Very hard to do and I struggle there as well. It is all about pushing one another.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
I know there are many folks who have never done any street shooting and in particular capturing a stranger or strangers...

For those that have not, you don't know what you’re missing...

So lets see those street shots...The more folks who participate, the better...We can all learn from each other...
Okay so I'll bite. I have read all the back and forth and enjoyed many of the photos. I have never attempted "street photography" before and really had no intention of posting any of these when I shot them. It was during our Christmas trip to Myrtle Beach. Several of us drove up to Wilmington to look around and I had to take some photos. This is a case of just looking around and taking a shot, but here are a few.....

1. My sister kept trying to ask folks where is a good place to eat by getting their attention at stop lights along the street but my wife was embarrassed and kept driving around. Final sis got a suggestion for "The Dixie Grill" so that was it for Lunch...

2. A couple on bikes passed us on the sidewalk

3. Unrelated and in totally different area this young lady was pushing her bike away from the bike shop

4. And here is a "Street View". Yes there are people here - they are in the cars...

5. Man walking away

6. I asked this man if I could take his picture. He was a little unsure but allowed me to catch him working.

7. A horse drawn trolley. We would have considered this tour but it was too cold!

8. On the next two I just liked the colors of the buildings. Blue corner store

9. And a large "red" building...

Nothing special, but hey these are some of the things I saw.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Nice photo's...I really like that last one..blurred woman...one leg in focus..something about it.
Thank you. That is one of my favorite images of all time.
Here is how I made that one. Very simple.
Tri pod, slow shutter, 24mm Manual focus lens set to Hyperfocal at F/8 and fired remotely or cable release. The hardest part of a shot like that is getting out to do it. Once there, it is easy.. I always leave the EXIF unless I use film to shoot.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2morrow View Post
I like the first one in the last set, the man looking back at the Asian lady. Feels like there could be a story in there.
Oh. yea....When street shooting and looking at ''scenes'' you notice things you may not other wise notice. Things like people kissing, hugging, Guys checking out or hitting on the girls, girls checking out the guys and so forth. These ''scenes'' make for some great photos....
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
Okay so I'll bite. I have read all the back and forth and enjoyed many of the photos. I have never attempted "street photography" before and really had no intention of posting any of these when I shot them. It was during our Christmas trip to Myrtle Beach. Several of us drove up to Wilmington to look around and I had to take some photos. This is a case of just looking around and taking a shot, but here are a few.....

2. A couple on bikes passed us on the sidewalk

3. Unrelated and in totally different area this young lady was pushing her bike away from the bike shop

Andy
I like these two Andy. With the girl pushing her bike, you have a winner. Convert it to black and white, add some contrast and some grain and you will have a more of a story. Why is she pushing her bike instead of riding it? Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #20

Thanks Javier.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote