Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:02 PM   #561

OK, enough grandkids and dogs. Maybe these are not technically "street" shots, but they are people and ,well, maybe they won't break the code here...
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #562

Another from the beach, and "living art" from the French quarter of New Orleans.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:40 AM   #563

Robert, the girl on the grizzley is a really good ad shot for the 4 wheel industry, bet they would give you some money for that one. I have noticed you have a knack for selective focus like in post #433 (page 44) I guess that comes from a lot of practice EH? LOL

Javier, I just went through all 562 photos on this "Rope" and I must say it is quite enlightning. Your B/W skill is way beyond good, and like has been said why do you not put together some of this and publish it? When I started reading and viewing this at about 10:30 PM this evening I was just going to look at a couple and maybe comment on one or two, but as I looked, it was so compelling to keep going that here now it is 3:19 AM and I am just finishing the thread. WOW this is some piece of work. The only thing I can find that is disillusioning (if thats a word) is I never knew there were so many pear shaped women in LA. I know that may sound a little shallow and I must apologise if that offends anyone, it's that I had the impression that all calif. girls were thin, tall, blond, and smiled perfectly all the time. My bubble has burst. Man what a reality check. That being said, I must confess I have, in about 5 hours become a fan of this type of photography.
I have however, with great deliberation, decided on a favorite out of all your post. That would have to be the "bird lady" (post #400, page 40). That pic has all the qualities of a truly well done picture. For me at least. I like all the vertical and horizonal lines, the capture of the birds in flight, the vanishing point effect, the shadows and of course the little elderly woman in the cool hat. That is sooo nice I will have to give you a golf clap on that effort, [in case you are wondering what that is, it is a quiet applause given by a subtle and appreciative crowd at an expensive golf club when a golfer makes an incredible shot].!!!
I am glad I took the time to look at the gallery, and just one other thing, could you explane the term "chimping" for me? I do not quite get it, I see the people looking into the camera, but what????

cripes it's past my bed time

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 8, 2010 at 4:43 AM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:55 PM   #564

Meet Daniela

Meet Pokahantas

Meet Julian

Meet Warlock
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:59 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Javier, I envy you your ability to take those "looks" and keep shooting. I think that is what holds most people back from being a street shooter. I really love this thread, although it's big enough now to be called a rope LOL
Thanks a bunch. The truth is that I rarely get those looks. Usually I get smiles, but then again. I have been cussed out a fair amount over the years
No doubt it takes a little courage, but it requires confidence more.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:05 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post

Javier, I just went through all 562 photos on this "Rope" and I must say it is quite enlightning. Your B/W skill is way beyond good, and like has been said why do you not put together some of this and publish it? When I started reading and viewing this at about 10:30 PM this evening I was just going to look at a couple and maybe comment on one or two, but as I looked, it was so compelling to keep going that here now it is 3:19 AM and I am just finishing the thread. WOW this is some piece of work. The only thing I can find that is disillusioning (if thats a word) is I never knew there were so many pear shaped women in LA. I know that may sound a little shallow and I must apologise if that offends anyone, it's that I had the impression that all calif. girls were thin, tall, blond, and smiled perfectly all the time. My bubble has burst. Man what a reality check. That being said, I must confess I have, in about 5 hours become a fan of this type of photography.

I have however, with great deliberation, decided on a favorite out of all your post. That would have to be the "bird lady" (post #400, page 40). That pic has all the qualities of a truly well done picture. For me at least. I like all the vertical and horizonal lines, the capture of the birds in flight, the vanishing point effect, the shadows and of course the little elderly woman in the cool hat. That is sooo nice I will have to give you a golf clap on that effort, [in case you are wondering what that is, it is a quiet applause given by a subtle and appreciative crowd at an expensive golf club when a golfer makes an incredible shot].!!!
I am glad I took the time to look at the gallery, and just one other thing, could you explane the term "chimping" for me? I do not quite get it, I see the people looking into the camera, but what????

Thank you very much and to say I am flattered is an understatement. My hope is to show what the real L.A. is really like. It is not like it is in the movies.

As for chimping, it is merely looking at the LCD after the photographer has taken the picture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimping

Thank you again!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:38 AM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
Robert, the girl on the grizzley is a really good ad shot for the 4 wheel industry, bet they would give you some money for that one. I have noticed you have a knack for selective focus like in post #433 (page 44) I guess that comes from a lot of practice EH? LOL

Hi Frank, thank you for the compliment on the girl on the grizzley! On the pic you pointed out for the selective focus, well, sometimes you have no other choice but to shoot from where you are standing. My wife told me to get that pic, so I just focussed on the subject, and locked, the re-composed and shot. I always use the center focus sensor.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:44 AM   #568

Quote:
Another from the beach, and "living art" from the French quarter of New Orleans.
What a great image. I wish I had taken this one, and now I must look for one of these. Great catch!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:49 AM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
What a great image. I wish I had taken this one, and now I must look for one of these. Great catch!
Javier, it's amazing how long these folks can remain very still..it's almost spooky at times. I got her/him??? with my Canon A560 P&S. Of course down in the french quarter, there are many living statues...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:29 PM   #570

Quote:
Javier, it's amazing how long these folks can remain very still..it's almost spooky at times. I got her/him??? with my Canon A560 P&S. Of course down in the french quarter, there are many living statues...
Well, you have a nice capture and I have not seen that set up before.

Meet Tap

Meet Steven

Meet E.T