Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:03 AM   #71
Super Moderator

Javier,

great job with your photo series, and even better job at being a great person.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:30 AM   #72

Two pics taken in Times Square early this morning.

#1. He was just sitting there I'm guessing passing the time. I've done that numerous times before when I was in-between jobs waiting for an interview. He happened to look up and I snapped this photo.

#2. While taking the photo above, this man just behind the seated man above started sowing breadcrumbs.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:13 PM   #73

About a third of the books I buy I buy from him. He's not there five times a week on 40th and Madison -- only about two days a week -- and only then when the weather is good. If there's a chance of even a slight drizzle don't expect him to be there. So there are sometimes whole weeks when he doesn't show up that I sometimes worry if he is sick or getting old. He sells current titles only both fiction and nonfiction in trade paperback and hardbound at 40% to 50% off.

He also knows a thing or two about the authors and the books he sells. He says he sometimes reads some of them. He's always reading the newspaper and occasionally he'd be dozing off in his chair. But whenever a customer comes up he always stands up and engages the customer in conversation in his slow and soft speaking voice. You can tell by his polite manners that he belongs to another era.

I used to think that he probably won the lottery and didn't need the money and maybe he had a daughter who works in the publishing industry and which is where he gets his books from and that being a lover of books he sells them at a loss to the book-loving bargain-hunting public to which I belong.

But over time I noticed that he does want me to buy. (I don't buy all the time because he sometimes doesn't have the titles I'm looking for.) He very gently points at one book on the table and tells me this one is selling well, this one has good reviews, or this one was on TV last night. So that's how I know I'm merely fantasizing and he really does need the money.

And so sometimes even though I don't particularly like a book, if it's been a while since I've bought last from him, I buy one anyway. If there's ever a symbiotic relationship between a seller and a customer, I like to think that what we share is one.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack jgredline's thread. I'm merely just capitalizing on his popularity.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:24 PM   #74

Hey vv, I like your latest series a lot, especially the last one with the interesting story about the guy - thank's alot for sharing

BTW, have you seen my first attempt in street photography a few pages ago? I'd really like to year the opinion of such a great "city-photographer" as you are

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:45 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Hey vv, I like your latest series a lot, especially the last one with the interesting story about the guy - thank's alot for sharing

BTW, have you seen my first attempt in street photography a few pages ago? I'd really like to year the opinion of such a great "city-photographer" as you are
I had to look for your post and when I found it, I was like, "Oh, that!" Because that made me guffaw when I saw it yesterday. I thought it was so weird it was the weirdest of all . So many things came into my mind not limited to both having wheels but of different kinds, one in boxer shorts and the other in leather, their expressions that were so casual they were funny and reminded me of the British-accented "Eh?" that I heard so often at Walthamstow street market when I was there in 1990, and best of all the sign that says, "Better, fresher, conker (whatever that is) varicose veins" added to the looniness.

I'm not just saying this to return your compliments, but that was (still is) my favorite in this thread. It is just so funny to look at.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, maggo85!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:01 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
You're a good man, Javier.
Thank you for the kiind words, I only wish it where true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
There is no such thing as a ho hum shot, in a street series...each tells a story. Some bed to be told more then others...

What i like about these street shots is that I get to 'see' parts of the world at the 'real life' level. Places I've never been to, shown to me as the average local sees it.

These are priceless to me, compared to the glossy pro shots seen in a travel brochure..

This is definitely a subject area that I hadn't considered..but now will
I try and include context when ever I can. Sometimes I get it, but most often I miss because it all happens so fast. ...One of my favorite things to do, is simply go up to a group of folks and say...Smile..
It usually works and sometimes end up with strange stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
jgredline, I love the last series of pics (Homeless Series). This series makes me think about how well I have it compared to others. Good work! and good on you for helping these people out.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve. have been working with homeless for about 10 years now, but only recently have I taken pictures of some and have not done any since about November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Javier,

great job with your photo series, and even better job at being a great person.
Thank you. I do not consider my self a good person. I guess I know the real me. Still I try and do what I can.
Thanks folks.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Two pics taken in Times Square early this morning.

#2. While taking the photo above, this man just behind the seated man above started sowing breadcrumbs.
Both are good, but this one is great! You have the eye that is for sure!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:05 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack jgredline's thread. I'm merely just capitalizing on his popularity.
Are you kidding me...This is ''OUR'' thread. Truth be told, I enjoy looking at others images more that I like looking at, or posting mine...Keep em coming. This is how we all get better..
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:58 PM   #79

Portrait time.

Dirty looks?

I do not know what to say

Tattoooo

Dummies

OOOK
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:20 PM   #80

Stroll along South Street Seaport in Manhattan.