Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Default My Daughter

Just starting out in the world of photography with my G11...for instance, I had no idea what "fill flash" was so you can see just how much of a beginner I am LOL

Here are 2 pictures of my daughter out in the snow for the first time this year (Dec 2009). She's 2.5 yrs old.

The second picture has a stick in the photo I plan to PS out I just haven't tinkered with the program yet but I'll do it eventually. I was just so happy to get her looking up. As with any toddler she never sits still long. I'd have also prefered her hair to be out of her face more but I didn't realize that until later.

Any advice, critiques, etc is welcome.....particularly for the second shot concerning the snow. I know its a bit bright and was wondering in the right hand bottom corner if I should crop it out or if there's some PP I can do to decrease the brightness?
Attached Images

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Jan 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

these are adorable, looks like you are off to a great start with your G11 and already capturing some nice memories.

the white snow on your 2nd shot comes from the large exposure difference between your daughter and the snow. the exposure is for your daughter, which is correct, but then the white snow will blow out, just the limitations of dynamic range.

the stick is an easy clone out, since its on a white backdrop you don't have to worry about recreating any textures, etc. you could probably do some kind of vignette or something to mask some of the bright white areas. i will have a look at it later when i get home, i don't have photoshop at work. if i remember anyways

anyways, like i said i think you are off to a great start.

one other thing, i think your focus on the 2nd shot is actually on the front of the hat and not the eyes, try to always focus the eyes. its not a big deal here as the distance isn't that far, but just something to always try to do.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks Hards80!

Yes I am finding it a challenge to get focus on her eyes as she moves so darn quick Half of the time I'm lucky to get the shot period. heee heee.

Thanks so much for the advice on the P.S'g...I hadn't thought of the vignetting but I think that would be a fabulous solution!!!

I'm excited to get the Field Guide to the G11 to assist me with my learning curve, but your suggestions are a huge help.

Natalie
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Nice shots. You can play with pp. Just a quick try with Picassa:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Super Moderator

thats what i was thinking to go square format like that, then add a vignette to emphasize the focus on our adorable subject here as well as masking some of the white around the edges.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6

Can you do a vignetting Hards80? I can't do it in Picassa. It's perfect for this shot.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Can you do a vignetting Hards80? I can't do it in Picassa. It's perfect for this shot.
I can later on today, i cannot from work.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:48 PM   #8

there is a small program called tintii i think that does the effect ordo as shown it also comes as a plug in for photoshop http://www.indii.org/software

Last edited by simple; Jan 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:09 PM   #9

Beautiful little girl and beautiful photos.

I also love the PP by Ordo makes her face really stand out. And Simple's edit in full color is excellent also.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:34 PM   #10

First, thank you all for your comments about my Daughter. She's my only child and my joy. Although, don't let that angelic face fool you, she's into trouble faster than I can blink most days

Second, you are all awesome! Your edits and suggestions are fantastic and truly are a help to a beginner like me. I hadn't thought of changing her coat colour but that was stunning. And Hards80's suggestion of a vignetting again can only improve the photo and make it very special.

I have an older version of Photoshop (5) which is completely new to me so I'm trying to learn how to do some PP in it at the same time as learning photography. Figured why not do it all at once I should be upgrading to Photoshop 7 shortly as I'm getting a copy from a relative.

Thank you again! And anything else you'd like to do with the photo I'd love too see!!!