Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Wendy

As a man keenly aware that he married far better than he deserved, I'm posting a photograph of my bride of 17 years. Her name is Wendy. My name is Michael, so I often introduce us as the kids from Peter Pan. (Michael & Wendy are the human children in Peter Pan).

I took this photo of her and I'd appreciate your comments on it.

The photo was taken in early November. f 5.6 1/100 sec. ISO 400 135mm. Pattern Focus.

Late afternoon, sun is at about 2:00 and I'm at 6:00, so the sun is not directly behind her, it's behind her but off to the right.

Faithfully yours,
FP
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2

I'll start with my own criticism and compliment.

First, I am happy with:
White Balance (which is not easy for me when shooting outdoors)
I'm happy with the dof when comparing her to the leaves behind her.

What I'm not happy with:
As sharp as her image is in comparison to the background, her face is too soft.

If I could shoot this again, I'd choose single point focus and focus on her eye.

I think I'd stand further away to slightly increase my DOF and hope to sharpen her face and shoot at 1/250 tv priority with a flash all on a monopod. This was hand held.

FP
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:21 AM   #3

I will object the composition. The hands are not shown, which would be important in this portrait. There's a triangle of unknown procedence bottom left and too much green surroundings her.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4

I like the way you introduced the photo Very sweet.

It's too bad, as you said, that her face isn't sharper as she has beautiful eyes which, if highlighted, would really have drawn you into the photo more.

Congrats on 17 yrs together!
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i would agree with the comments on the composition as well. i think seeing the hands is needed in this shot as they are cropped off around the wrist right now. i am assuming she is leaning on a fence of some kind, this would allow you to see part of it as well, and seeing more of it would be better than the sliver of it we see now.

also, i think adding the flash would give some nice highlights to the face, which would be nice as right now the light is pretty dull on the face, which is the most important part and would balance the nice highlights in the hair. using single point and focusing on the eye is important and maybe having her push the bit of hair out of the way of her left eye would keep even more emphasis on the eyes.

those are the main comments that come to mind. thanks for sharing and wish you many more years of happiness.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:04 PM   #6

Default one more from the same shoot

Here's one more from the same shoot.

I wasn't happy with it for a couple of reasons:

I don't like her posture. The way she's leaning isn't flattering. If we would have had a shoulder turn maybe towards the fence post (?) it might have worked better.

Also, her lips are... I don't know... but that's not how her lips normally look.

It's shot at 1/125 5.6.

Again, what you advise me to different next time?

FP
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:27 PM   #7

A lovely young lady, in portait profssional I came up with this version

maybe too different
Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i don't like the posture either. the tilt of the head, combined with pursed lips makes her look like she is annoyed with you for taking her picture, or just about to scold you for something you have done. not a flattering combination. i much preferred the expression of the first photo. i also don't like the awkward cropping, since you cut off the fingers on her hand. maybe going portrait orientation would allow you to get more of a 2/3 body shot and then getting her to give a more relaxed/happy posture and expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Here's one more from the same shoot.

I wasn't happy with it for a couple of reasons:

I don't like her posture. The way she's leaning isn't flattering. If we would have had a shoulder turn maybe towards the fence post (?) it might have worked better.

Also, her lips are... I don't know... but that's not how her lips normally look.

It's shot at 1/125 5.6.

Again, what you advise me to different next time?

FP
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:47 PM   #9

Im more annoyed at that antenna thing sticking up in the middle of the pic than her hands cut off. I like both expressions. The smile is, of course, the best. But the second one has a look that makes you look longer to try to get whats going on in her head.
Ya its a bummer when you marry above your station. She is a keeper.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote