Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:08 AM   #11

That is why it is a Crackberry!! it is addicting.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:43 PM   #12

While i do agree that smartphones and similar devices are a huge distraction in today's world, they are unfortunately a necessity. It's fueled not only by the users of the devices (myself included), but the culture surrounding them. the complexities of the everyday have become so busy with to-dos that we rely on these devices in order to try and squeeze everything in. The irony is that we end up spending waaay too much time using them instead of getting said to-do's finshed. Just imagine how it would feel if you were travelling or away from home, and you were expecting a very important call, text, or email about the medical status of a family member, or needed to jump on an email about a potential job that could change the quality of life for your family. Missing either of those could make a huge difference. That "what-if" is the main reason we depend on these things. People have done without them for centuries, however, during those times, nothing was "expected" as they are now.

Case in point, in pic #1, that seems like a fairly long exposure with the man standing there. In that period of time, he could easily be getting to wherever he had to go and take care of business there. Instead, he chose to stand on the corner while you had time to set down your camera, frame the shot and still get a long exposure. Sometimes, I wonder as well, where we would be had cellphones not been invented...

P.S. Great shots BTW
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:45 PM   #13

Thanks for the compliments and sharing your thoughts, fbords!

If I understand your thoughts correctly -- and to confound the issue even more -- there's basically good and not so good which I won't call bad . Something like for every three steps forward we take two steps back.

Seriously, I originally meant this as a parody of the times. If in case I hit a certain truth (not too heavily I hope) then I guess I may not be kidding after all. For all I know what's coming out of my mouth (or my typing) may be coming from somewhere deep. I am also a parent who can use a manual for raising teens. There's so much new things going on in their lives that I can't totally deprive them of.

So what I tell them generally is, as with anything in life that makes you happy, go for it -- in moderation.

As for me, I knock myself out.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks for the compliments and sharing your thoughts, fbords!

If I understand your thoughts correctly -- and to confound the issue even more -- there's basically good and not so good which I won't call bad . Something like for every three steps forward we take two steps back.

Seriously, I originally meant this as a parody of the times. If in case I hit a certain truth (not too heavily I hope) then I guess I may not be kidding after all. For all I know what's coming out of my mouth (or my typing) may be coming from somewhere deep. I am also a parent who can use a manual for raising teens. There's so much new things going on in their lives that I can't totally deprive them of.

So what I tell them generally is, as with anything in life that makes you happy, go for it -- in moderation.

As for me, I knock myself out.

A couple of additional thoughts. As has been pointed out, cell phones, etc, etc, sure do come in handy. But how many people use then because their handy, or because the world is such an alienating place, and this is one of our attempts to counter that alienation? As I said before, cell phones have become a real necessity for work, IF your out of the office and in the field. My company gives me one and it saves plenty of time and frustration - Can't honestly say it's EVER been beneficial in any other respect. Another high tech gadget (now considered just sooooooo last century) is the answering machine. If people need to leave me a message, let them leave it there. So, in my opinion most of its use is simply to ease mental frustration. An attempt at some sort of community. And yet the necessity is there for those who need it. I have more then mixed emotions about this. But one thing I'm very sure of - I don't want to be contacted at any moment of the day or night. Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote