Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:29 PM   #1

Default Disturbing Trend

Over meals I sometimes notice my son's or daughter's cellphones buzzing. Sometimes they look other times not. If we hadn't been eating I'm sure they'd be thumbing responses away.

Come to think of it, I do, too. My Blackberry doesn't buzz as much but I reach for it whenever I could. While standing in line at the post office, after every few pages reading a book, or heaven forbid while waiting for the green light sitting behind the wheel, I check my Blackberry to see what's new.

Which makes me wonder, is this a good thing? If Einstein, Beethoven, and Gautama Buddha all had cellphones, will we be where we are today?

It's hard to tell. After all, these guys were the geeks of their time. You probably couldn't distract them away from their work even if you banged cymbals on top of their heads.

I can focus (I think) because I'm conditioned by a generation where computers weren't prevalent. There were no distractions. A worker either stayed focused or twiddled his thumbs.

But today's generation has e-mail, FB, Twitter, texting, and cellphones. These distractions are a part of their lives. With cellphones buzzing all the time, how can they focus to accomplish anything?

I think at some point a correction will be made. Just as when the hippies of the 60s and 70s grew old and made sure their kids didn't turn out to be like them, today's kids will do the same to their future kids.

However, their future kids I'm sure will come up with their own way of wasting their lives away.

Ah, well. We need not worry. They'll be alright. After all, look at us. We're alright.

Um, we are, aren't we?

-oOo-

#1. Man crossing 8th Avenue.

#2. Woman entering 42nd Street and Broadway Subway station.

#3. Man on sidewalk early in the morning in Pershing Square.

#4. Worker on 40th Street and Broadway.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Corrected grammar: "stayed focused"
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:32 PM   #2

An enjoyable series, I expecially like the realistic/abstract quality of number one.

Your thoughts on this question are quite interesting, and I've also thought about this. I don't own a cell phone, blackberry, whatever, your post reenforces me in my determination not to own them in the future.

My employers sometimes give me a cell phone, and It's a must have for work - But I really don't want to be on the end of a wire 365/24/7....

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:22 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great photography as always! I especially like # 1 that conveys the sense of the hurried world we live in.

Re. the use of mobile communication devices...it is the new normal. We either adapt or become dinosaurs!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i really enjoyed this photo-essay vv, both the short essay and the photography.

i too was most interested in photograph #1 as it parallels the sentiments of your writing quite well. the man with the cellphone is so caught up in his digital life that he is completely oblivious as the rest of the world races by him.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:25 PM   #5

VV, Number 1 is a crazy cool shot! I have been staring at it twice already. Once at work and once here. Was that hand held or was it on a tripod? Love the motion blur. As for the cell phones and such, don't get me started. I have decided though, that folks behind cell phones make for some great photo opps.Keep shooting.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6

i agree with all the comments and number one is great and how many shots of each to create the hdr ?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:53 AM   #7

Thank you, Dave, jelpee, Hards80, jgredline, and simple, for your encouraging comments!

Regarding #1, I was using a traffic barrier (not sure what itís called) similar to the plastic orange one beside the man as a tripod. So I guess the shot was handheld although with support.

I was actually shooting a picture of the Port Authority Building -- the building to the right facing the man -- during rush hour. (I had no concept in mind just seeing what might develop.) While composing the shot, the man walked into my frame. As always, I waste no time and shoot away. I just make sure the person is completely within my frame. I set my camera to always shoot in brackets for later HDR editing. At the time I didnít even know the man pulled out his cellphone.

For the woman in #2, same thing. I was shooting a picture of the Subway station entrance. (I am actually taking pictures of NYC Subway stations just to see what might develop.) I didnít even notice the woman stopping before entering the station. I guess she thought better do it now while she had signal.

For the #3 photo, I saw the morning sunlight and wanted to see how it would come out on HDR. I saw the man texting and so I framed him in.

The picture of the worker in #4 I took about a week or two ago. It was already dark and my eyes were caught by the work light so I framed a shot. I couldnít find a fire hydrant to use as tripod so it was completely handheld.

The workerís companion is actually down in the hole they dug which was as deep as the man was tall. So you could only see the manís helmet moving about in the hole. I guess the worker in the photo had nothing better to do so he pulled out his cellphone.

I agree with all the comments about cellphones being distractions whether necessary or not. (jgredline, oops about getting you started but lol just the same ). I have to say, however, that all these people in my photos if my judging their body language is right are quite happy.

The man on the sidewalk in #3 for example was jerking his head about looking up and sideways as if he was getting away with something. He was probably reading something funny and tried his best not to laugh in so public a place. Ditto for the man crossing the street in #1.

Dave, my Blackberry is company-issued. About 18 years ago, the company I worked for issued me a beeper. Back then, beepers were literal chains put around you. Bosses and fellow workers alike gave you dirty meaningful looks if you didnít respond promptly. Nowadays I think things have changed. So long as you donít abuse the shared minutes you are free to use it however way you like including make personal phone calls. My bosses and coworkers also donít take it against me if I return their calls or e-mails an hour or two later. (If itís urgent, they do however walk by my desk to see if Iím in.)

Going back to my photos, I donít think any of these people were checking e-mails from their bosses. More likely, theyíre reading texts or FB messages from friends. Behind those external stony expressions (hey, itís NYC), I think inside theyíre more like the woman in the photo below.

#5. Woman sitting by the carousel.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:58 AM   #8

I like the first one the best, I agree that the cell phone has gotten way to intrustive into peoples life. I have 3 of them, but I tend to turn 2 of them off on the weekend and I have learn to ignore the crackberry when I am doing stuff. Want to claim my time back. PPL can always wait for me to respond later one. Nothing it that ergent that I need to reapond to an email or text asap, if it is an emergency. PPL will pick up the phone and call.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i agree with all the comments and number one is great and how many shots of each to create the hdr ?
I just realized I didn't answer your question. It's a three-shot bracket with a (narrow) range of +/-0.7 ev.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I like the first one the best, I agree that the cell phone has gotten way to intrustive into peoples life. I have 3 of them, but I tend to turn 2 of them off on the weekend and I have learn to ignore the crackberry when I am doing stuff. Want to claim my time back. PPL can always wait for me to respond later one. Nothing it that ergent that I need to reapond to an email or text asap, if it is an emergency. PPL will pick up the phone and call.
I use the free Bolt browser on my Blackberry only to browse steves-digicams.com forums -- honest!!!

Thanks, shoturtle!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I forgot to say thanks :)