Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Couples I shot

Here are a few pictures that I shot of couples. I really love sports photography however I wanted to learn other stuff too. First is couple #1. Sorry no EXIF data since these first 2 were from film negatives. I was a green newbie here....

Next, these were engagement photos taken for an Army buddy. I was free and wanted experience and they needed photos. I know that the color might be off....

The last is my favorite because I was trying to capture something but just didn't quite get it...

Thoughts, comments, you suck! are all appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Dartheyeball; Feb 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Dartheyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:42 PM   #2

I would try to shot from a lower prospective, shooting down is not as flattering as shooting up or even with your subject. Number 3 is very nice.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3

I like #2 very nice and pretty shot.

The last set of three could use some fill light to brighten their eyes and faces.

The third would be better if her hands were not clipped, but in the next one, his fingers being clipped does not seem to matter as much.

I like the posing and angles. I like the peekaboo around the tree I did some like this with my wife and sister in law and they loved the angles.

There are so many different angles shooting from below, at eye level, or above. I am not sure which I prefer best. I have often been told it is best to shot a little elevated instead of below or at eye level. I've even received feed back suggesting using a small ladder to get above especially for women. So I don't know but the angles from above looks okay for me.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4

How I like pre marriage couples! They look so happy...
Three comments:

1. Before shooting a portrait look for a clean, unobstructive background.
2. If you're going to show hands, show them complete, not partially. Hands tell stories.
3. Use fill flash when facing a high contrast background.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:20 PM   #5

nice series although #2 #3 #4 although have issues because of the backgound
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:07 AM   #6

I like your poses, but, as Julie said, I agree the backgrounds could be better. I hope you don't mind, I did some stuff to your last pic ( contrast, color, lighting, and a crop). What are your thoughts?

I shoot with a dslr, and I am never satisfied with my pics straight out of the camera. I spend more time post-processing than shooting..

Robert
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

These are very nice poses. However, as someone else remarked, blurred backgrounds would definitely be less distracting of the subjects (use a wide aperture and a telephoto lens to acieve a shallow depth of field). Also, these images have a "hard" quality to them...perhaps the lighting (e.g. very uneven on #1). I prefer portraits to have a softer look (does not mean a soft focus)--try using a difuser of sorts to filter and spread the natural light. Not sure what time of day these were taken, but you could always take advantage of the natural softer light during the morning and early evening hours.

Once again, your poses are excellent.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
How I like pre marriage couples! They look so happy...
Three comments:

1. Before shooting a portrait look for a clean, unobstructive background.
2. If you're going to show hands, show them complete, not partially. Hands tell stories.
3. Use fill flash when facing a high contrast background.
these were my thoughts exactly. especially getting the fill light in the face, that will really make them pop, they are quite dull as is.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I like your poses, but, as Julie said, I agree the backgrounds could be better. I hope you don't mind, I did some stuff to your last pic ( contrast, color, lighting, and a crop). What are your thoughts?

I shoot with a dslr, and I am never satisfied with my pics straight out of the camera. I spend more time post-processing than shooting..

Robert
Great job. I didn't realize how distracting that background really was! When I shot these, I really hadn't had much experience in shooting people. I am also going to have to work on getting better with post processing as well. =) I am also going to work on learning how to properly use a fill flash. I really am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Most of knowledge is learnt from trial and error. However all the tips I have received here will come in handy the next time I get an opportunity to shoot people again.

Last edited by Dartheyeball; Feb 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM.
Dartheyeball is offline   Reply With Quote