Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
It DOES have auto focus. Indeed, a whole bunch of settings to choose from. But you can't learn how to manually focus without manually focusing...

I have a great eye for distance, and a poor brain to remember what my setting were...

I simply blew it.

Dave
What the hell Chato. Go AF!
You need BS: Brain Stabilization.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:51 PM   #12

Ok,

Thought it may have been a SD14 that you were shooting.

I like the shot of cooper union's library from your links. Not bad from the little sigma.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
It DOES have auto focus. Indeed, a whole bunch of settings to choose from. But you can't learn how to manually focus without manually focusing...

I have a great eye for distance, and a poor brain to remember what my setting were...

I simply blew it.

Dave
I really cant understand the obsession to use manual focus etc when one does not need to. The reason that digital cameras are so great is all the new stuff on them to help you make better photos, I only ever use manual focus when the lens just wont focus on auto. There is nothing wrong with using the settings supplied on the camera such as aperture priority or the P setting. I know a number of pro photographers that rarely use manual focus or manual settings and as one said to me a while back, "In the end it is what you prodice that is all people care about, not how you took the photo or what settings you had the camera on. People dont really care, they just want to see nice photos".
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
I really cant understand the obsession to use manual focus etc when one does not need to. The reason that digital cameras are so great is all the new stuff on them to help you make better photos, I only ever use manual focus when the lens just wont focus on auto. There is nothing wrong with using the settings supplied on the camera such as aperture priority or the P setting. I know a number of pro photographers that rarely use manual focus or manual settings and as one said to me a while back, "In the end it is what you prodice that is all people care about, not how you took the photo or what settings you had the camera on. People dont really care, they just want to see nice photos".
I do a lot of night photography. At critical times AF will fail if the place is really dark. There are also instances where I want to photograph a subject in which the camera wants to focus on a different area. And then Both of the above occur...

With this Sigma, I intend to use AF during the day, but First I want to get manual focusing down pat....

So that when I DO switch to manual it will be second nature.

I really like this camera, and intend to be able to use it it any and all circumstances.

Nothing good is easy. It took me six months to be able to shoot with my Swarovski hand held. I would say that the many years of being able to do this made that time a good investment.

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Feb 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:03 AM   #15

well I can see the point for night time, I tend to switch to manual as well then. Maybe Im lucky as most of my lenses are very good at locking onto the subjects so where possible I use autofocus even in low light
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:45 PM   #16

Quote:
well I can see the point for night time, I tend to switch to manual as well then. Maybe Im lucky as most of my lenses are very good at locking onto the subjects so where possible I use autofocus even in low light
I find that at night a certain percentage of shots with auto focus are out of focus, whereas using manual a certain percentage of shots are out of focus...

But to pat myself on the back, the percentage of night shots, OOF, with manual focus is dropping like a stone. I actually expect that within a month or so, there will be no out of focus manual shots. None. Zip. Nada...

Dave
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:14 PM   #17

Quote:
One last point, which I forgot to mention.

All P&S cameras have a long shutter lag. The DP2's is almost two seconds. BUT, in manual mode, shutter lag more or less disappears and is less than a tenth of a second...

Dave