Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:35 AM   #1

Default Blow up

Blow Up was a film loosely based on the life of David Bailey and was one of the first films I ever saw relating to the Fashion Biz. In fact, it was the first time I was ever exposed to fashion from the vantage point of a photographer. It was a real eye opener for me in many respects and may have subconsciously effected how I perceived myself within the BIZ. Things have certainly changed however. If I treated models the way David Hemmings did, the chances of my getting models in the future would be severely diminished and I would probably get a swift kick in the Balls! I really love the set designs, the clothing and the make-up & hair. Some serious experimentation was going on here and the creative spirit of the 60s time frame is so well expressed throughout the film. Also, check out the music, tantalizingly tacky with a scene of the Yardbirds doing a gig at a club in London. Both Sarah Miles and Vanessa Redgrave are absolutely wonderful in this cult film. There is also an appearance with model Burshuka.

So many of todays photographers have been influenced by the simplicity and sparseness of the 60s. Steven Meisel comes to mind when seeing this, but he recreated the ambiance 40 years later. I consider this epoch as once of the most creative in Fashion Photography. But from a Sociological perspective, we have come a long way. None the less Blow Up stands as one of the most important films of the century, as it so well ensconces the paradigm of that time frame from almost all of the disciplinary vantage points; Music, Fashion, Photography, Architecture, Psychology, Philosophy and Sociology.

Hope you enjoy these videos as much as I do and perhaps they might spark your creative juices.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/t2j
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:18 PM   #2

I saw the movie 'Blow Up' on Turner Classic last night. Great movie, I hadn't seen it for many a year. Nice to see Vanessa Redgrave in a early role.

I agree with your sentiments about the movie, times have changed haven't they.

I worked for a publishing company back in the '60's...no one was a fashion photographer, just editorial and photography dept. staff.

But the clothing styles, lighting equipment, camera equipment and certainly the atmoshere, brought back fond memories. Hard to believe more than 40 years have passed so quickly.

I recall the cameras used by those in the publishing and newspaper fields...Nikons, Pentax, Mamiya, Rollei...the photographers at the publishing company I worked for... had Mamiya Press, Nikon, Pentax...we (at least publisher did) even had a Linhof, although being a young guy back then I never got a chance to use it....just the Pentaxes and Nikons...I still have my old work Pentax...a basic SLR...the S1a...with hand held Sekonic Meter. Only 1/500th of a second...but rugged and never let me down...except one day when the shutter froze...25 to 30 below, if I recall. Within an hour (indoors) it had thawed and was working well..unscathed.

I got a kick out seeing the lead character, David Hemmings, in the movie use his ...what apppeared to be Nikkormats...although I could be wrong...my memory has faded...
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I saw the movie 'Blow Up' on Turner Classic last night. Great movie, I hadn't seen it for many a year. Nice to see Vanessa Redgrave in a early role.

I agree with your sentiments about the movie, times have changed haven't they.

I worked for a publishing company back in the '60's...no one was a fashion photographer, just editorial and photography dept. staff.

But the clothing styles, lighting equipment, camera equipment and certainly the atmoshere, brought back fond memories. Hard to believe more than 40 years have passed so quickly.

I recall the cameras used by those in the publishing and newspaper fields...Nikons, Pentax, Mamiya, Rollei...the photographers at the publishing company I worked for... had Mamiya Press, Nikon, Pentax...we (at least publisher did) even had a Linhof, although being a young guy back then I never got a chance to use it....just the Pentaxes and Nikons...I still have my old work Pentax...a basic SLR...the S1a...with hand held Sekonic Meter. Only 1/500th of a second...but rugged and never let me down...except one day when the shutter froze...25 to 30 below, if I recall. Within an hour (indoors) it had thawed and was working well..unscathed.

I got a kick out seeing the lead character, David Hemmings, in the movie use his ...what apppeared to be Nikkormats...although I could be wrong...my memory has faded...
I remember seeing this movie when it first came out. I was living in Chicago at the time. If I recall, it was at least ten years ago. I was nineteen at the time, so, hmm? that makes me 29 now? How come I just celebrated my 62 birthday?

I distinctly remember that it was the Rolling Stones who were the band shown in that movie, with Mick Jagger smashing the guitar. A real shock to find out that my memory (over just ten years) is obviously defective.

I agree, great flick! Movie of the century? Changed the dynamics? Err, no...

But to defend against the charge of sexism, the David Hemmings character did NOT abuse woman, if anything, they abused him...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote