Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:16 PM   #1

Default Shooting Chato - A story!

Shooting Chato at night without a flash is not easy. (It's "easy" for me, because I shoot the dog all the tiime)

And Chato provokes strong reactions. At any rate, this photographer, asking my permission, started to shoot the dog; serious business here. He was only interested in the dog, to the extent that the dog was an unusual model.

Chato takes photography seriously. While he has no idea of what is actually being done, he knows that when a human is carrying a machine which smells like a camera, and start pointing it around, something with Purpose is going on. Obliging as he is, he's a good poser.

Well, in the course of this guy shooting, some sort of strange bond developed between the photographer and the dog. While most of my shots aren't worth printing, these five at least start to capture what went on.

At some point, which you can more or less see, this guy became far more interested in Chato as a personality, than Chato the dog, or Chato the model.

After he took his last shots, he hugged the dog, giving me a heart attack, 'cause Chato doesn't put up with hugs from strangers - But instead of snapping Chato licked the guys face. They had become real friends.

Very odd...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:39 PM. Reason: typo
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:39 PM   #2

Had to be the camera thing seeing it made him think family! LOL Way to go Chato boy!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:42 PM   #3

One amazing dog, Dave. I hope he's around for a looooong time to come. I sure do miss mine.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
One amazing dog, Dave. I hope he's around for a looooong time to come. I sure do miss mine.
I'm gonna stuff him, and install a computer with an AI program to keep him going forever.

I've trained dogs for a living, I've owned dogs all my lifel never had one like this guy. I didn't tell Chato to pose for this guy, he did it for a "goof." But something happened between the two of them. Easier for others who are not familiar with Chatos expressions, to look at the human. But I can see both sides of the interplay.

Dave
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:02 PM   #5

I need to get me a dog!. I love this 5th one.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:45 PM   #6

To bad you don't live where its warm I would offer to spin chato's fur for you and make a hat or gloves so you could have him for ever.... but seeing that you live in the now cold regions I would not want to have chato suffer from over exposure...... just a thought. He getting enough of that it seems.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
To bad you don't live where its warm I would offer to spin chato's fur for you and make a hat or gloves so you could have him for ever.... but seeing that you live in the now cold regions I would not want to have chato suffer from over exposure...... just a thought. He getting enough of that it seems.
Well the nice thing about "fur" as opposed to hair, is that it's the gift that keeps on giving. If Chato's fur was worth money, I would be a millionaire.

Quite a few people who own this (or other breeds for that matter) simply collect the "gifts" that they provide, and do indeed make sweaters, hats, whatever...

Dave
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
I need to get me a dog!. I love this 5th one.
I really like this series, and am soooooo sorry that the last shot of Chato giving this guy a lick while he was giving him a hug, didn't make it. I was shooting and running at the same time, not a good combination for taking a picture at 1/50th.

This guy was "all business," and the dog impacted on him. I really enjoy seeing the changes in his expression from one to five.

Dave