Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:35 PM   #11

I really like the first shot. Nicely done.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:40 PM   #12

I like the BW shot, it give these shoots a nice mood.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
I really like the first shot. Nicely done.
That's my favourite too - thank you Jazzer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I like the BW shot, it give these shoots a nice mood.
Thank you too shoturtle - I LOVE the old grainy b&w film look, so I try to achieve this look (with my small Photoshop skills)

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:49 PM   #14

So as I mentioned in one of my previous posts here, I took another "couple" shot... I'm not sure if it works this way

#6 - Posing

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-117_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  121.0 KB

I just converted this one to b&w, added a little grain and unsharp mask - I didn't do any croppping on this one.

My question is: Does this work? Would it be better if I had focussed on the guy? Is it completely crap? Please let me know what you think so I can get better!!

Last edited by maggo85; Mar 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
So as I mentioned in one of my previous posts here, I took another "couple" shot... I'm not sure if it works this way

#6 - Posing

I just converted this one to b&w, added a little grain and unsharp mask - I didn't do any croppping on this one.

My question is: Does this work? Would it be better if I had focussed on the guy? Is it completely crap? Please let me know what you think so I can get better!!
It's an interesting perspective which I enjoy doing. But I would try to get both people in focus. It should be possible, by manipulating the aperture, to get the further subject at least a bit clearer. As it stands now, while not bad, it doesn't really work.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 4:13 PM   #16

Markus,
This is a tough call. A part of me admires the Art behind the idea and it is an idea I myself have done. Some people will like the DOF on this. Others like myself would rather have deep DOF as Dave suggested. So I am with Dave on this one.

Here was my attempt at trying the same thing. One is focused on the shoooter and the other on the subject. At the end of the day, I did not like either one really.

jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
It's an interesting perspective which I enjoy doing. But I would try to get both people in focus. It should be possible, by manipulating the aperture, to get the further subject at least a bit clearer. As it stands now, while not bad, it doesn't really work.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Markus,
This is a tough call. A part of me admires the Art behind the idea and it is an idea I myself have done. Some people will like the DOF on this. Others like myself would rather have deep DOF as Dave suggested. So I am with Dave on this one.
Dave and Javier - thank you both for your honest opinion! You second my thoughts... I too think the DOF is way to deep, but it was just a try

Maybe if I go out shooting next time I'll try this again making it look like Javier's pic.. maybe

Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post

#6 - Posing

Attachment 150460

I would have kept the man in some focus, since he is a subject to the photographer in the picture. I would keep in focus, but perhaps you can experiment with him in complete focus, then other tries of varying degrees of out of focus... but as it stands, he is "too far" out of focus, at least fo rmy liking. Hope this helps, this is great subject for us to consider, so I am really happy you brought this up... background has a fundamental importance when it comes to good composition... Hope to see more photos like this regarding the subject and what should be in focus, what can be out of focus. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post

I would have kept the man in some focus, since he is a subject to the photographer in the picture. I would keep in focus, but perhaps you can experiment with him in complete focus, then other tries of varying degrees of out of focus... but as it stands, he is "too far" out of focus, at least fo rmy liking. Hope this helps, this is great subject for us to consider, so I am really happy you brought this up... background has a fundamental importance when it comes to good composition... Hope to see more photos like this regarding the subject and what should be in focus, what can be out of focus. Thanks. Ned
Thank you too for your opinion Ned - this really helps a lot!!

BTW, Jim renamed this thread for me, so I can post my last two shots from that afternoon here - they are no couples, so he had to rename it

Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #20

I decided to post the other two shots from that afternoon too - of course they're not as great as others we see here at Steve's, but this was my first attempt in street photography and I can't imagine a better place to learn than these forums!

So here we go with another two - enjoy

#7 - Dreamin' of better days...

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-129_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  130.2 KB

#8 - Sittin' and Smokin'

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-131_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  158.7 KB

Now I want to thank all of you guys (and gals, of course ) for taking a look at my first street shots, thank you for commenting them and sharing your opinion - you folks are a great help!!

And please don't hesitate to tell me what you think about the last two photos, even if it's really bad

Last edited by maggo85; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM.