Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Default Some Street Shots

Yesterday I walked around a bit in Innsbruck after work, trying out my new 55-250 IS... so I thought why don't try a little "street photography"?

I think Javier (jgredline) posts some amazing shots which really inspire me...

BTW Javier, these would fit on your thread "Capture a Stranger" too, but I'd really love to hear your (and others) opinion on this ones - what is OK, what can be done better and so on... so I'm waiting for your C&C

#1 - A little tenderness

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-103_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  122.4 KB

#2 - "Walk on, it's green!"

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-105_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  118.8 KB

#3 - Ready for shopping

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-110_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  112.1 KB

#4 - Italian "photographers"

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-116_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  123.8 KB

#5 - ...and of course two japanese folks

Name:  2010-03-05-Innsbruck-121_forum_rahmen.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  111.5 KB

There always are a lot of Italian tourists in the city - and many more from Japan

I hope you liked my five "couples" - I'd love to read your opinions and maybe some tips how I could do better next time

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L

Last edited by maggo85; Mar 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2

I like all but two and three (not that I dislike two and three... )

The ones I like all have something going on...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3

Awesome. I will offer up my opinions when I get home. Great job in getting out there.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I like all but two and three (not that I dislike two and three... )

The ones I like all have something going on...

Dave
Thank you very much Dave - I had the same thought when I posted these, so when I go out next time, I try to shoot just people "doing something"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Awesome. I will offer up my opinions when I get home. Great job in getting out there.
Wow, thank you for your kind words Javier... but I'm still waiting for your opinion

Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:09 AM   #5

Oi, Markus! Thanks for the photos, indeed. I especially like the last one! Take care. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:35 AM   #6

I really enjoyed photos 1 and 2. The first one captured a very nice moment between a couple that transcends the photo I think. It'd be the kind of photo they'd frame and have on display for years to come.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Ok, I will offer my C.C. Please keep in mind that this of course is my opinion. Opinions on street shooting vary all over. With my own street photos, I have found that while most seem to like them, I have my fair share of critics as well.

With that being said.

1) This is a beautiful image. It is very much in my style. The composition is ''almost'' perfect. I would have liked to see a tad more context to the left of The bikes and a tad more to the right. I am left wondering where this is at. The black and white PP work is spot on. Just the right amount of contrast and you have great blacks and whites...I give this image a solid 8 and could go higher in book....

2) This image does nothing for me. The crop is far to tight and no eye contact. This image could use a tad more contrast. I would like to see the original image and see what is there. This image I rate at a 3

3) This image has a lot of potential. I would love to see the whole image to see what we can work out here. What I do see is this. I see a couple of pretty ritzy girls walking in what looks to be a trendy area. I love the DOF and like that I could make out that other girl to the far left. What it is missing is context. Where are they going? Why is there a part of a bike tire. I want to see the whole bike. The PP work on this one is wonderful. Spot on. I give this image a 5 and can easily go to an 7 or more.

4) Ok, here you have a face and eye contact...HUGE + for that. The black and white work again is wonderful. This image again is missing context. The crop is far to tight. You chopped of half that precious old lady. I want to see all of her and more. I want to see where those folks are at. Again, I would like to see the whole image so we can work on cropping for composition...I rate this one a 7+ with room to improve.

5) Again the crop is a bit tight. Good DOF but want to see more context. Again good black and white work I give this one a 4 but again cam move up.

So in going over my own comments here is what I see.
The GOOD...Your black and white work is great. You have control over the tones. The DOF you are working with is nice and deep. I like it (though some folks would say it is too deep)

The bad. Really just composition. My own style is to shoot as quickly as I can and worry about composition later. I crop as little as possible, but enough to compose the shot. This is one of the things I enjoy about Dave's (chato) street shots. He shows me plenty of context and is nice and close. Of course he cheats. He has that girl / people magnet with him (I need to get me a dog) but he is still there...

Now what I admire most about your shots, is that you got out there and did it. How did it feel? Awesome ha!...

Lets work on some of these photos.
Hope this helps.
javier
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Maggo,

great introductory street set. i really enjoyed these.

i shared much of the same reactions as Javier.

#1 was my favorite, just a nice moment that befits your title, but i also like #4 for the eye contact and expression. #3 i liked, but not framed center like that, liked to see more of where they are walking.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Oi, Markus! Thanks for the photos, indeed. I especially like the last one! Take care. Ned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
I really enjoyed photos 1 and 2. The first one captured a very nice moment between a couple that transcends the photo I think. It'd be the kind of photo they'd frame and have on display for years to come.
Thank you very much guys - I really love to read your opinion about my "first try" shots The first one is my absolute favourite too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Maggo,

great introductory street set. i really enjoyed these.

i shared much of the same reactions as Javier.

#1 was my favorite, just a nice moment that befits your title, but i also like #4 for the eye contact and expression. #3 i liked, but not framed center like that, liked to see more of where they are walking.
Wow, nice to hear such kind words from you Dustin! Unfortunately, I didn't cropped the originals much, so I framed them too tight while shooting... but I'll work on them ASAP (hopefully with a little help from Javier)

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Ok, I will offer my C.C. Please keep in mind that this of course is my opinion. Opinions on street shooting vary all over. With my own street photos, I have found that while most seem to like them, I have my fair share of critics as well.

With that being said.

1) This is a beautiful image. It is very much in my style. The composition is ''almost'' perfect. I would have liked to see a tad more context to the left of The bikes and a tad more to the right. I am left wondering where this is at. The black and white PP work is spot on. Just the right amount of contrast and you have great blacks and whites...I give this image a solid 8 and could go higher in book....

2) This image does nothing for me. The crop is far to tight and no eye contact. This image could use a tad more contrast. I would like to see the original image and see what is there. This image I rate at a 3

3) This image has a lot of potential. I would love to see the whole image to see what we can work out here. What I do see is this. I see a couple of pretty ritzy girls walking in what looks to be a trendy area. I love the DOF and like that I could make out that other girl to the far left. What it is missing is context. Where are they going? Why is there a part of a bike tire. I want to see the whole bike. The PP work on this one is wonderful. Spot on. I give this image a 5 and can easily go to an 7 or more.

4) Ok, here you have a face and eye contact...HUGE + for that. The black and white work again is wonderful. This image again is missing context. The crop is far to tight. You chopped of half that precious old lady. I want to see all of her and more. I want to see where those folks are at. Again, I would like to see the whole image so we can work on cropping for composition...I rate this one a 7+ with room to improve.

5) Again the crop is a bit tight. Good DOF but want to see more context. Again good black and white work I give this one a 4 but again cam move up.

So in going over my own comments here is what I see.
The GOOD...Your black and white work is great. You have control over the tones. The DOF you are working with is nice and deep. I like it (though some folks would say it is too deep)

The bad. Really just composition. My own style is to shoot as quickly as I can and worry about composition later. I crop as little as possible, but enough to compose the shot. This is one of the things I enjoy about Dave's (chato) street shots. He shows me plenty of context and is nice and close. Of course he cheats. He has that girl / people magnet with him (I need to get me a dog) but he is still there...

Now what I admire most about your shots, is that you got out there and did it. How did it feel? Awesome ha!...

Lets work on some of these photos.
Hope this helps.
javier
Javier... thank you VERY much for this long and detailed opinion! I really appreciate the fact that you took the time and write this post - it's a REALLY big help for me to read opinions like yours!!

Unfortunately, I didn't really crop these shots, I they are more ore less like I shot them... so there's nothing to work on to make them better

But I've got anther "couple" shot and two shots of single people which I'm not sure if I should post them or not... maybe I'll work on them now

What I can keep in my head for my next "shooting" is one thing: Context and composition.. don't crop so tight

Thank you again Javier!!

BTW, I forgot to tell you how it felt: It was great

Last edited by maggo85; Mar 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM.