Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'll tell you what Dave. I'll make you an honest deal. If you keep your critique of other peoples shots relegated to the critique section I'll do the same for your shots. But if you're going to critique others I think it hypocritical for you to determine what way is valid and what way is invalid for offering critique on your shots. And, I DID in fact offer critique within the context of your photos. I indicated which photos I thought conveyed a positive rendering of the child playing and which images I thought failed to do so.

Without question others are free (as you are) to disagree with me. And, in general I tend to respect other people's requests that they not be critiqued. But I expect them to play by those same rules.

So, if you don't wish to receive critique all you have to do is refrain from giving it yourself. If you do that, then I and others will certainly respect your wishes that your photos not be critiqued. But you don't get to have the benefit of offering your opinon publicly on other people's photos and the benefit of shielding your own work from critique. One or the other.
This is a load of huey

Here is what I said about this thread:

Quote:
Let me edit in another point - As I've stated, I think I captured this kids total lack of inhibition. You disagree? That would be a critique in the context of the post.
Moreover, any comments about any photograph is a defacto critique - What you're saying amounts to asking me and anyone else for that matter not to post at all.

Here is your first post on this:

Quote:
Interesting subject but as photos there isn't much to recommend these. Again, I just disagree that because the photo takes place in the street it is de-facto good and doesn't require any of the composition, sharpness etc. characteristics that make a good photo. As mentioned the shots are over-cropped with too much post. 4 & 5 offer interesting position of the subject but the others make the subject look awkward and are not flattering nor do they convey the same sense of play the last 2 do.
Yes, interesting subject and yes, as photos there isn't much to recomend them. But no, oddly enough my introduction deals with:

"Again, I just disagree that because the photo takes place in the street it is de-facto good and doesn't require any of the composition, sharpness etc. characteristics that make a good photo."

You telling me something I didn't acknowledge? They're over cropped? You bet, 100 percent crops (or 900 reduced to 800 - same thing)

They're not framed properly? Well?
If they WERE framed properly, you wouldn't see a damn thing.

Why not spit it out John?

When I posted THIS image, I MADE the claim that it's a good shot -

When I make such a claim and it's FALSE you would be on target

I'm not going to bother to respond to more of this kind of post. You're not saying anything about these images that I disagree with, and your not critiqing the thread. All that you're saying is that bad photographs shouldn't be posted - Which err, is an interesting thought.

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Moreover, any comments about any photograph is a defacto critique - What you're saying amounts to asking me and anyone else for that matter not to post at all.
Dave
No Dave, what I was commenting about was your public whining that I shouldn't offer critique because this wasn't posted in the critique section.

The fact remains - if you don't wish others to critique your work either don't post it in a public forum or if you do, do not offer critique on others work. As long as you're posting in a public photography forum and as long as you are offering your own opinions of others' work don't be surprised when people offer their opinions of your work. Again, in this instance you did a poor job of storytelling. I'm sorry you don't want to hear that. But, you're going to have a tough time getting people to not critique your poor work when you're so free with offering your own critique. You can feel free to disagree with the critique I gave you. But, perhaps others reading can learn something from it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
All that you're saying is that bad photographs shouldn't be posted - Which err, is an interesting thought.

Dave
Dave - what I'm saying is - if you post bad photos on a PHOTOGRAPHY forum, and you have a habit of posting comments about other people's photos - expect to be told your photos are bad. But part of photography is recognizing when you failed as a photographer. Experienced photographers leave bad photos in the trash bin. Again - this isn't facebook or myspace. This is a forum about photogrpahy.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
No Dave, what I was commenting about was your public whining that I shouldn't offer critique because this wasn't posted in the critique section.
This is not true. Please post the full in context quote of me saying that.

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:13 PM   #15

Quote:
This is not true. Please post the full in context quote of me saying that.

Dave
Here's the quote:
Quote:
This is a photography forum - But this is not the critique section.
Now, you went on to say:
Quote:
I don't mind a critique of these shots, but they have to be in the context of what was posted.
So, your point seemed to be: if it were in the critique section I could critique the photographic elements of the photo but anywhere else you set the guidelines for what people are allowed to critique and what they aren't. Again, if you don't like having your shots critiqued don't post them on a photography forum or don't offer critique yourself of other peoples work. It really is simple.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:20 PM   #16

Oh, and Dave - since you threw in the baby photo I would say he's adorable - great eyes. But you've cut off half his hand. Either include the whole hand or make it a tighter crop to remove both hands. That would be a shame because little hands add so much to the photos. But I think half a hand is worse than no hand at all. I would also say the railing to the left is distracting and adds nothing to the photo. Which is probably another reason why a tighter crop might work better. So it's a very good subject and there are good elements but there are negatives in it too that need correcting IMO if you're going to call it a good shot.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Here's the quote:

Now, you went on to say:

So, your point seemed to be: if it were in the critique section I could critique the photographic elements of the photo but anywhere else you set the guidelines for what people are allowed to critique and what they aren't. Again, if you don't like having your shots critiqued don't post them on a photography forum or don't offer critique yourself of other peoples work. It really is simple.
The full quote WITHOUT BREAKING IT UP is:

Quote:
This is a photography forum - But this is not the critique section. I don't mind a critique of these shots, but they have to be in the context of what was posted.
None of this, "You then went on to say." What the heck do you mean by "You then went on to say?" It's ONE DAMN SENTENCE!

Anyone who posts on this board is defacto asking for comments. Comments are critique. If someone introduces their shots with a disclaimer, as I did, then if you want to critique it, you do it in the context of the thread.

I'm done. Knock yourself out, I'm not going to reply to you anymore on this thread.

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
None of this, "You then went on to say." What the heck do you mean by "You then went on to say?" It's ONE DAMN SENTENCE!
Actually Dave, it's TWO sentences (with or without the 'damn'). The period after the word 'section' denotes the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next. Given that you ended one sentence and began a new one, I think it's quite valid to say "you went on to say". But I think if nothing else we could probably agree it's two and not one sentence - right?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Actually Dave, it's TWO sentences (with or without the 'damn'). The period after the word 'section' denotes the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next. Given that you ended one sentence and began a new one, I think it's quite valid to say "you went on to say". But I think if nothing else we could probably agree it's two and not one sentence - right?
Yes, my bad, it's two sentences.

Dave
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:10 AM   #20

Whoa guys!! Just a second here...what's wrong with the two positions???

First Dave..it IS a cool shot of a unique moment in time. Its what you wanted to show us and you did. Who cares if the photo isn't perfect..you didn't have the opportunity to try and get one...but the story is/was too good to pass up.

BUT..allow John.

John is teaching the rest of us what to look for in a good photo...nothing to do with the 'story' but givin the opportunity to take a picture like this, John is suggesting to me what to do to try and get the good shot.

Dave provided the insight to 'look for the shot' and John provides the knowledge to really capture the 'story'

no one is wrong..in this situation.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote