Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Whoa guys!! Just a second here...what's wrong with the two positions???

First Dave..it IS a cool shot of a unique moment in time. Its what you wanted to show us and you did. Who cares if the photo isn't perfect..you didn't have the opportunity to try and get one...but the story is/was too good to pass up.

BUT..allow John.

John is teaching the rest of us what to look for in a good photo...nothing to do with the 'story' but givin the opportunity to take a picture like this, John is suggesting to me what to do to try and get the good shot.

Dave provided the insight to 'look for the shot' and John provides the knowledge to really capture the 'story'

no one is wrong..in this situation.
New York City has reached the stage of using fines as a major source of income. My block, with it's twenty Theatres, a dozen galleries, and the designation of Being an "Official Art Block," is given the once over by Meter men every ten minutes. The fine is signifigant...

There is only one thing "wrong" with these pictures - They were shot from 75 feet with a 24mm lens. No one knows this better than me.

After my casual disclaimer, I went on to narrate a story about my intense pleasure of watching kids in action. I've done the same in other recent threads. We all tell "stories" with our images.

The image should have been framed better? How?

Ahh, get out of the car and get closer

The image lacks detail? How could that be recitified?

Ahh, get out of the car and get closer.

And what did I say in my introduction?

Quote:
Yesterday I had to sit in my car for four hours. Illeagally parked, but legal to "stand."
Here is another story I posted. Oddly enough, it has no disclaimer; no statment that these are 100 percent crops, no statement that the images are over sharpened.

Attack of the Killer Baby - Steve's Digicams Forums

I like telling these stories of kids and their difference from adults, the kind of joy that I Wish I could still act out. (12 Tequilla sunrises are no way to compare me to a kid )

But come on, I have to defend these images? We're sharing stories every time we post, and if the story is better than the photographs, the story is still real.

I appreciate your post - Puts things in perspective, even so, even so, people should lighten up.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:55 AM   #22

I am going to stay out of the discussion of right and wrong, but I like the story line. I like shots that give the free think of kids a voice. Could the photos have been better sur, but thanks for the education.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
I am going to stay out of the discussion of right and wrong, but I like the story line. I like shots that give the free think of kids a voice. Could the photos have been better sur, but thanks for the education.
This little guy kept it up for a good twenty minutes, totally oblivious to everyone and everything. Apparently he had given this some thought. He first came out with chalk and was making circles on the sidewalk. They were some sort of guide that he used for dancing. The cup (which makes us think of hustling for money) was actually a fixed point that he used as a reference. I vagulely remember making such a "plan" when I was a kid of that age, but for the life of me I can't remember the "mood." That mood is a part of childhood that ended for me, err, maybe four or five years ago, give or take a number of decades...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote