Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default He's The Man - A little kid in action

Yesterday I had to sit in my car for four hours. Illeagally parked, but legal to "stand."

At any rate, bored as all get out, I watched a little boy come out of a building, and draw with various pieces of chalk. He then put a cup in the center of one of his circles and started to dance, and dance and dance - And I felt "He's the Man" come into my mind...

Kid was to far away for closeups, so these are basically 100 percent crops, and perhaps a bit over sharpened to bring out the detail.



And as I sat there watching this kid and shooting this kid, I was sooooo envious of his freedom from inhibition. There was no little voice in his head saying, "Don't you look and feel stupid?"

Ahh the joys of being seven or eight...





And not even paserbyes, even if they were the police could slow this little guy down...



Aside from me, his only other constant audience was a brown dog barely visible in most of these shots. The dog was impressed (as was I).



Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,049
Default

Did you speak to him. Is he saving up for something special?
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Did you speak to him. Is he saving up for something special?
The cup was not there to collect money. It was an object that he could use as a marker as he danced.

No, I didn't speak to him, but this has nothing to do with money. It was pretty clear, that like many of that age, he "had an idea," and couldn't wait to put it into practice. Did he care what I thought about it? He didn't think about the question at all - He was being and acting in a manner that at some point we adults can no longer do.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:51 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Interesting subject but as photos there isn't much to recommend these. Again, I just disagree that because the photo takes place in the street it is de-facto good and doesn't require any of the composition, sharpness etc. characteristics that make a good photo. As mentioned the shots are over-cropped with too much post. 4 & 5 offer interesting position of the subject but the others make the subject look awkward and are not flattering nor do they convey the same sense of play the last 2 do.

Again, I think it's possible to do street photography and still get quality images. I might suggest looking at jgredeline's work and maybe checking with him to get some ideas on how to compose shots and get sharp results without missing the moment.

I realize there are interesting subjects all around. But the challenge of photography is to actually capture them in a pleasing way with a good amount of quality. Especially when you're a photographer with decades of experience.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Interesting subject but as photos there isn't much to recommend these. Again, I just disagree that because the photo takes place in the street it is de-facto good and doesn't require any of the composition, sharpness etc. characteristics that make a good photo. As mentioned the shots are over-cropped with too much post. 4 & 5 offer interesting position of the subject but the others make the subject look awkward and are not flattering nor do they convey the same sense of play the last 2 do.

Again, I think it's possible to do street photography and still get quality images. I might suggest looking at jgredeline's work and maybe checking with him to get some ideas on how to compose shots and get sharp results without missing the moment.

I realize there are interesting subjects all around. But the challenge of photography is to actually capture them in a pleasing way with a good amount of quality. Especially when you're a photographer with decades of experience.
Might help if you actually read my first post in which I stated that I was to far away to take good shots, and that they were 100 percent crops, and a bit over sharpend.

This kids activities, were to me, to cute to ignore simply because I couldn't get a decent shot. The activity is "decent" and I posted them. My long narrative should have given this away to you.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Dave,

I read your narrative. And yet this forum is about photography. So it's the photograph that counts. The space shuttle taking off is an interesting subject. But if I take a shot of it and it's a tiny spec in the corner of the frame, it's a poor photograph of an interesting subject. In the end, even if the subject is interesting but we fail to capture the subject the photograph just isn't good.

So yes, I read where you were too far away with not enough zoom to capture what you wanted to capture. The solutions are therefore to be prepared with the right tools for the job or to select different subjects.

I took a photo of my nephew playing Saturday - the focus was off. No matter how cute he was I failed in my job to capture it. My saying "well I missed the focus but here's the shot anyway" doesn't suddenly make it a decent photo.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave,

I read your narrative. And yet this forum is about photography. So it's the photograph that counts. The space shuttle taking off is an interesting subject. But if I take a shot of it and it's a tiny spec in the corner of the frame, it's a poor photograph of an interesting subject. In the end, even if the subject is interesting but we fail to capture the subject the photograph just isn't good.

So yes, I read where you were too far away with not enough zoom to capture what you wanted to capture. The solutions are therefore to be prepared with the right tools for the job or to select different subjects.

I took a photo of my nephew playing Saturday - the focus was off. No matter how cute he was I failed in my job to capture it. My saying "well I missed the focus but here's the shot anyway" doesn't suddenly make it a decent photo.
This is a photography forum - But this is not the critique section. I don't mind a critique of these shots, but they have to be in the context of what was posted.

Now for example, I posted some shots of a Gull who used a styrofoam cup as a tool to pick up clams - Lousy photographs, incredible subject. People were interested.

This too is an interesting subject. The photographs are flawed by distance. Life sucks - But the subject - which is to say, a form of journalism, makes them worthy of being posted on a photography forum.

Photography has Many forms, and not all photographs have to be works of art in order to justify themselves - It is enough that they tell a story to be called photographs. I am sharing an interesting interlude.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
The photographs are flawed by distance. Life sucks - But the subject - which is to say, a form of journalism, makes them worthy of being posted on a photography forum.

Photography has Many forms, and not all photographs have to be works of art in order to justify themselves - It is enough that they tell a story to be called photographs.
Dave - that's a very interesting point. Let's take that a step further. You called this a form of journalism so let's extrapolate. Let's say this was a JOURNALISM forum and I posted an example of a story I wrote and the story had misspelled words and poor grammar. The story was about an interesting subject and a subject potentially worthy of writing a story about. On a journalism forum wouldn't it make sense for people to look at my ability to convey the story? Are the misspellings and grammatical errors to be made irrelevant? I wouldn't think so. Now, I wouldn't expect such analysis on a general blog. But a forum for and about journalism, how I articulate the story is as much a part of it as whether or not the story was worth articulating.

And, as I see, you're no stranger to providing your opinion of photographs posted in forums other than Critique. So, if you wish people would not critique your photos outside of that forum, you might wish to follow those principles yourself. I'd be glad to respect your wishes in that regard if you followed that guideline. But I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that because you were open to posting critique in other forums you were open to receive it as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave - that's a very interesting point. Let's take that a step further. You called this a form of journalism so let's extrapolate. Let's say this was a JOURNALISM forum and I posted an example of a story I wrote and the story had misspelled words and poor grammar. The story was about an interesting subject and a subject potentially worthy of writing a story about. On a journalism forum wouldn't it make sense for people to look at my ability to convey the story? Are the misspellings and grammatical errors to be made irrelevant? I wouldn't think so. Now, I wouldn't expect such analysis on a general blog. But a forum for and about journalism, how I articulate the story is as much a part of it as whether or not the story was worth articulating.

And, as I see, you're no stranger to providing your opinion of photographs posted in forums other than Critique. So, if you wish people would not critique your photos outside of that forum, you might wish to follow those principles yourself. I'd be glad to respect your wishes in that regard if you followed that guideline. But I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that because you were open to posting critique in other forums you were open to receive it as well.
As I said in the preceding post:
"I don't mind a critique of these shots, but they have to be in the context of what was posted."

Did I make this post saying, "here are some remarkably clear shots that I took yesterday"

I made another post in the "Other Photographs" forum,
What can I do with this shot? An exercise in cropping - Steve's Digicams Forums

I introduced that post by saying, I didn't like ANY of the shots. I posted it for totally different reasons - Just as I made This post for totally different reasons. I ask in all sincerety, Why didn't you make the same critique as you're doing now? Why didn't you run in and point out all the flaws?

Come on John, lighten up a bit. I'm not so uptight that every shot I post has to be a prize winner. I like this little kid who I don't know, and might never meet - I don't even think he lives here. I wanted to share that moment of a complete lack of inhibition - And I think you can see that in these images even if they're not very good.

Dave

Let me edit in another point - As I've stated, I think I captured this kids total lack of inhibition. You disagree? That would be a critique in the context of the post.

Last edited by Chato; Mar 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

I'll tell you what Dave. I'll make you an honest deal. If you keep your critique of other peoples shots relegated to the critique section I'll do the same for your shots. But if you're going to critique others I think it hypocritical for you to determine what way is valid and what way is invalid for offering critique on your shots. And, I DID in fact offer critique within the context of your photos. I indicated which photos I thought conveyed a positive rendering of the child playing and which images I thought failed to do so.

Without question others are free (as you are) to disagree with me. And, in general I tend to respect other people's requests that they not be critiqued. But I expect them to play by those same rules.

So, if you don't wish to receive critique all you have to do is refrain from giving it yourself. If you do that, then I and others will certainly respect your wishes that your photos not be critiqued. But you don't get to have the benefit of offering your opinon publicly on other people's photos and the benefit of shielding your own work from critique. One or the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:11 AM.