Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Fun with the 85mm f1.8

I don't often play with my primes so have been using my time here in Egypt to force myself to shoot with fixed focal length.

There is one problem with these experiments, I've decided that I need to upg the 50mm f1.8 to the f1.4 version to get better AF...... oh, but I'm having fun!!

Shot with Canon 5DmkII.

C&C welcome.

5 (these were yesterday and wasn't to warm so decided that I would have a play with B&W for a different feel.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

#1 & 2 are my favorite--the backlit hair is just beautiful! #3 is nice too, except I find the boots a bit distracting. I'd try croppiing it at the waist. Nice poses on the B&W's--I like the "slanted" composition. I must admit that I am generally not a big fan of B&W's though. Looks like you and your wife had fun!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:20 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I don't often play with my primes so have been using my time here in Egypt to force myself to shoot with fixed focal length.

There is one problem with these experiments, I've decided that I need to upg the 50mm f1.8 to the f1.4 version to get better AF...... oh, but I'm having fun!!

Shot with Canon 5DmkII.

C&C welcome.

5 (these were yesterday and wasn't to warm so decided that I would have a play with B&W for a different feel.

Mark,

Beautiful images of a beautiful woman. Warm smile and deep eyes. Browsed the web last night for the 85 1.8. Sharp, good bokeh, (affordable) Did they leave something out, is there something more I should know

Yes, how is the lense hood - preferably take pictures in backlight

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:35 PM   #4

3 is too much fun great picture... 6 could be on Time Magazine with a headline of "This is what success looks like" -real nice.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:48 PM   #5
Super Moderator

#1 and #2 are my favorites here. love the highlights in the hair. #1 is my favorite compositionwise like the railing, like the dof , but #2 just feels more natural with the pose thought the foreground oof flowers distract me a bit.

#3 is really fun, but the color balance feels a bit cool. maybe its just my monitor, but it comes across a little less pleasing colorwise.

#4 - this one doesn't work as well, it doesn't feel natural at all.

#5 and 6 i like the compositions, but the contrast feels a bit too harsh in the face area.

my nitpicks and such aside, i think its a great set. and the 85 1.8 did great. #1 and #2 belong in a frame!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6

#2 is excellent, great use of the flowers and DOF and fill flash. Good mix of different ideas for all of them.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Mark,

Beautiful images of a beautiful woman. Warm smile and deep eyes. Browsed the web last night for the 85 1.8. Sharp, good bokeh, (affordable) Did they leave something out, is there something more I should know

Yes, how is the lense hood - preferably take pictures in backlight

Torgny
Thanks

The 85 is a great lens on both crop and FF. I have only really used it for weddings where the light is terrible and flash isn't allowed and for indoor sports, until recently that is. In all of these situations it does a fantastic job and has no flaws that I can think of... that's the nice thing about primes, optically stronger than a zoom. I'm planning to use this more and more.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:47 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
3 is too much fun great picture... 6 could be on Time Magazine with a headline of "This is what success looks like" -real nice.
Thanks Mike, I enjoyed playing around with different ideas.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:51 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
#1 and #2 are my favorites here. love the highlights in the hair. #1 is my favorite compositionwise like the railing, like the dof , but #2 just feels more natural with the pose thought the foreground oof flowers distract me a bit.

#3 is really fun, but the color balance feels a bit cool. maybe its just my monitor, but it comes across a little less pleasing colorwise.

#4 - this one doesn't work as well, it doesn't feel natural at all.

#5 and 6 i like the compositions, but the contrast feels a bit too harsh in the face area.

my nitpicks and such aside, i think its a great set. and the 85 1.8 did great. #1 and #2 belong in a frame!
Thanks Dustin for the in depth C&C. I agree with #4 and wasn't going to include it, then I was, then I wasn't so decided to leave it and see if people had the same thoughts as me which was an uncomfortable looking pose. So you confirmed it, I should have left it out.

I will go back to #3 and check the WB on the calibrated screen as I didn't do so when editing these as I wasn't at home.

1 and 2 are also my faves and will likely make it up on the wall somewhere.... I already have lots of photos of her, but these are sweet.

Thanks again!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:53 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
#2 is excellent, great use of the flowers and DOF and fill flash. Good mix of different ideas for all of them.
Thanks

I'm a huge advocate in using flash for outdoor photography, lots of people still think flash is an indoor or night tool only.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.