Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: "Sunny" Seattle
Posts: 390
Default

Cool Shots! I love quality street performers.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

Thanks, it was a fun day.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
jgredline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles...
Posts: 1,175
Default

Cal
I hope you don't mind. If so, let me know and I will remove the pic. I got pretty happy when I saw this image. What a fantastic capture, but felt it was missing some punch..
Here is what I did. Cropped slightly at the bottom to send your eyes right to the action.
Converted to black and white in CS3
In CS3, I added artificial film grain to enhance the detail instead of sharpening that will bring in artifacts.
Last step was curves adjustments to get the blacks deeper and control the highlights a tad..

I would have been thrilled to have taken this photo.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
__________________
My flickr
My blog, where the eyes are the window to the soul.
Thank you very much, Javier
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

The conversion works really well, I haven't shot B&W since my film days. I just don't think about shooting in B&W. When shooting flim you look at a scene different than when shooting color and I forget to look at shot for B&W.
Image editing is fine with me, I might even learn something new.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:44 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Your last shot is amazing... and Javier's edit is definately my cup of tea
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:22 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Your last shot is amazing... and Javier's edit is definately my cup of tea
Thank you for the comment. But I get the hint, get out and shoot some B&W. Hope you realize just how much this will tax my brain, not even sure I remember how to shoot B&W anymore. Lets see yellow filter bring out green, green filter to bring out red, oh were did I put that filter cheat sheet.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:01 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Thank you for the comment. But I get the hint, get out and shoot some B&W. Hope you realize just how much this will tax my brain, not even sure I remember how to shoot B&W anymore. Lets see yellow filter bring out green, green filter to bring out red, oh were did I put that filter cheat sheet.
It's just a personal taste, but I prefer street shots in b&w... thank god we have digital, so I don't have to choose the right film and the right filter... just let Photoshop do all the work
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:45 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
It's just a personal taste, but I prefer street shots in b&w... thank god we have digital, so I don't have to choose the right film and the right filter... just let Photoshop do all the work
True Photoshop does most of the work now days but some thought should be given to the shot when taking the picture. Look for good contrast in the shot, so not to get a flat looking picture is the first thing to look for in a shot. Now, if I can just remember the rest of them.

Hey, it time for me to go home, yeah.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:54 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
True Photoshop does most of the work now days but some thought should be given to the shot when taking the picture. Look for good contrast in the shot, so not to get a flat looking picture is the first thing to look for in a shot. Now, if I can just remember the rest of them.

Hey, it time for me to go home, yeah.
Of course, the shot should be "qualified" for b&w... looking forward to see your photos
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

Amazing Calicajun. Some picks look like layered merged picks. Yoiu really have a good eye for street photography. Jgredline B&W works great here.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.